Easily Solved: 500GB Hard Drive Shows Only 130GB of Space
This article illustrates why 500GB hard drive shows only 130GB of space and how to fix the issue.
I have a Dell Inspiron laptop, which has a 500GB hard drive. It’s going so perfect until the 500GB hard drive shows only 130GB of space suddenly in My Computer. I just reinstalled Windows due to problems encountering in Internet Explorer. After I reinstalled it, the hard drive space is missing to 130GB. Why the hard drive showing the wrong capacity when it has more space in fact? How to solve the hard drive not showing full capacity?
Typically, the hard drive manufacturer regards 1GB=1000MB, 1MB=1000KB, and 1KB=1000Byte as the standard. But in fact, 1GB=1024MB, 1MB=1024KB, 1KB=1024B. We take 500GB hard drive for example, a 500GB (500*1000*1000*1000B) hard drive only has the capacity of 500,000,000,000/1024/1024/1024≈465GB actually. As the same time, 1TB hard disk will be only 931GB. Thus, we get the capacity of the hard disk usually less than actual.
Except for the fact that we can’t change, there are some causes that result in 500GB hard drive shows only 130GB of Space:
▪ There is some unallocated space on that disk.
▪ The 500GB hard disk is not authorized by official channels.
▪ Format the 500GB hard drive with an improper format tool.
▪ Clone smaller hard drive to 500GB hard disk.
▪ Virus attack.
To fix 500GB hard drive that shows only 130GB of space, please buy a 500GB hard disk from the formal channel. And it’s worth mentioning that the best way to repair the problem is to extend the 130GB partition without losing data.
Generally speaking, the 500GB hard drive has some documents that you would like to keep and don’t want to lose. Thus, formatting the hard drive is not a good idea. If your 500GB hard drive has only 130GB showed up, and the rest of the space is unallocated space, you can resize the 130GB hard drive to 500GB freely with AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard. AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard is a professional HDD capacity restore tool plus disk partitioning software for Windows users, like Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10.
1. Just free download AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard, after the installation, launch the procedure.
2. To extend the partition, select the 130GB partition and choose Resize Partition at the drop-down menu.
3. Slid the double arrow rightwards to extend partition to 500GB size. Click OKto continue.
4. Look through the result of the resizing at the Pending Operations and the changes of the 500GB hard drive. Select Apply at the upper left corner to fix 500GB hard drive only shows less capacity problem.
In addition, if you don’t want to keep any files on that 500GB hard drive, you can just format the hard drive to make it as unallocated space, then create partition on that unallocated space to restore hard drive to full capacity. Besides, AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional will offers you more advanced features, like allocating free space from one partition to another.