I want to format a hard drive to FAT32, but Windows 10 Disk Management tool failed to do this job. And it only offers NTFS and exFAT. How can I format this drive as FAT32? Is there any suggestion?”
Why cannot format hard drive into FAT32 in Windows 10?
Windows cannot format hard drive into FAT32? Why? Here, you need to understand the FAT32 file system at first.
FAT32 is a kind of file system suitable for small capacity hard disk, it designed to overcome the 2GB partition limit with the FAT system and the maximum file size of a single file it supports is 4GB. If the partition capacity of your hard drive, flash drive or SD card is larger than 32GB or the maximum file size of a single file is larger than 4GB, you may face that Windows built-in tool cannot format your drive to FAT32 successfully.
Besides, if your hard drive, flash drive or SD card is write protected, you cannot format it successfully too.
Best free FAT32 formatter for Windows 10, 8, 7, and 11
To format hard drive, flash drive, or SD card into FAT32, you can use Windows built-in tool to do this operation. The specific steps are as follows:
1. Press “Windows + R” at the same time to open the Run box, then type “diskmgmt.msc” and press “Enter” key to open the Disk Management.
2. Right click the drive you want to format and select “Format”.
3. Then, select FAT32 file system (or the file system you need) and click “OK” to start format.
If you meet the problem that Windows built-in tool cannot format your drive into FAT32 successfully, you can turn to a third party software to do this operation. Compare with other software, here I highly recommend AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard – the best free FAT32 formatter Windows 10 which provides you many powerful functions like format partition. You can use it to format your hard drive, flash drive, SD card, as well as other storage drive in Windows 11/10/8/7, Windows Vista and Windows XP.
How to format hard drive, flash drive, or SD card with AOMEI Partition Assistant
To format hard drive, flash drive, SD card, as well as other storage drive in Windows 11/10/8/7 with AOMEI Partition Assistant can be very easy and effective. The specific steps are as follows:
Warning: If there is any important data on the hard drive, please back up the storage drive at first.
Step 1. Install and run AOMEI Partition Assistant. Your partition information will be displayed on the main interface. Right-click the drive you want to format and select “Format Partition”.
Step 2. In the pop-up window, choose the file system you need. (here is “FAT32” file system.) And you can also specify “Cluster Size” under file system if you need to. Then, click “OK”.
Step 3. After that, it will go back to the main interface. Preview the virtual result and click “Apply” > “Proceed” to complete the operation.
- The formatting process will take some time, please allow the computer to finish this operation before using it for anything else.
- Formatting doesn’t erase the data once and for all. But AOMEI Partition Assistant Pro can be the best hard drive cleaning software with the function of SSD Secure Erase and Wipe Hard Drive.
- If you need to store some big files larger than 4GB to the partition, we suggest you to use NTFS to format due to the 4GB limitation of FAT32.
- If you are running Windows Server 2022, 2019, 2016, 2012, 2008, and 2003, please turn to Server Edition which is designed for Windows Server users.
As you can see, AOMEI Partition Assistant can be the best free FAT32 formatter. Follow these simple steps, you can format your storage drive into FAT32 or any other file system in Windows computers easily and effectively. The feature of format partition can also help you to fix the error like current read only state yes.
Besides, it also provides you many other powerful functions such as resize/move/delete partition, disk copy, migrate OS to SSD, wipe hard drive and so on. If you meet the problem like c drive full in Windows 11/10/8/7, you can upgrade to AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional to solve this problem.