The MBR in this error is not the partition style like GPT. How much do you know about this Master Boot Record (MBR) of the hard drive in your Windows 7?
MBR is an important data structure on the first sector of the disk that is necessary for system booting. It contains the Partition Table for the disk and a small amount of executable code for the boot start. As a result, a system will not load when the MBR is damaged or missing.
Some other similar bootup errors would be Operating System not found, Missing Operating System, Invalid partition table, and Non-system disk or disk error. Then, how do you fix these errors in Windows 7?
Want to fix MBR of Windows 7 but no DVD available
Chances are that you’ll get a way to fix MBR using the Bootrec.exe program with the help of the Windows installation DVD if you search online. It says getting into the Command Prompt and typing “bootrec.exe /fixmbr” will help you repair corrupted MBR.
That is indeed a feasible way. Nevertheless, what if you encounter the error Bootrec.exe Element Not Found? What if you don’t have an installation DVD or system repair disc in hand? The computer may have been used for ages and you cannot remember the location of the installation DVD. You may get the PC from someone else and the installation disc did not come with it. All in all, no installation DVD or repair disc is available in your case.
Don’t worry. You’ll learn how to perform MBR fix in Windows 7 without the installation disc in the next part.
How to restore MBR in Windows 7 without DVD/CD step by step?
To fix MBR in Windows 7 without DVD, all you need are three things, a USB flash drive (CD/DVD) that is greater than 13 GB in size and a free MBR repairing tool AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard. At the same time, a Windows-based computer to make the USB flash drive bootable media, since your Windows 7 cannot boot up. Here comes the detailed step.
1. Connect the USB flash drive to the PC and make sure it is detected. Free download, install and run AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard on the Windows-based (Windows 10/8.1/8/7/XP/Vista supported) PC.
2. Click “Tools” in the top toolbar, and choose “Make Bootable Media”. Follow the wizard to create a WinPE bootable USB drive. Remove the USB stick after completion.
Tips: AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard is pre-installed on the bootable drive.
│Step 2. Boot up Windows 7 from the bootable USB drive
1. Insert the bootable USB drive to your Windows 7. When the computer starts, quickly press ESC, F1, F2 or F12 according to the prompts at the bottom of the screen to enter the BIOS.
2. Change boot priority to the bootable flash drive in BIOS. Save the changes and restart computer to Windows PE mode.
│Step 3. Fix MBR for Windows 7 without installation CD/DVD
1. You’ll see loaded AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard once logged in. In the main interface, right-click the disk you want to repair (usually the system disk) and then select Rebuild MBR.
2. Choose the proper MBR type for Windows 7 in the popping up window.
3. Click Apply and then Proceed to commit the change.
4. Remove the bootable drive and restart your Windows 7.
Tip: install and perform MBR repairing on your Windows 7 directly if the operating system boots normal.
This is the whole process of fix MBR in Windows 7 without DVD/CD, not only simple but also effective. If you are bothered by Windows 7 not being able to start normally, download it and try. For more powerful functions, please upgrade to AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional to unlock.