How to Boot Windows 10, 8, 7 from SD Card?
The steps to boot Windows system from SD card will be demonstrated in this article.
In order to run their own familiar system or other purposes, many users will create a bootable USB drive, but what about the SD card? Can we create a bootable SD card and boot from it?
Yes, you can boot your system from an SD card. Like booting from USB drive, you can turn to a powerful Windows media creation tool named AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional. Its “Windows To Go Creator” feature can help you to install Windows 10, 8, 7 on an SD card, as well as USB flash drive. So you can run a system you installed on any other PC. And it owns several highlights to meet your different demands.
● Better compatibility: AOMEI Partition Assistant allows you to create a bootable SD card from all versions of Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7 and other Windows OS.
● Less limitation: Other traditional tools only support a few certified USB, while AOMEI Partition Assistant create a bootable SD card without brand limit as long as it has enough space to contain the system.
● Comprehensive features: This tool abounds with features for your PC. For example, it helps yout to make a WinPE bootable USB if your PC can't boot up one day. You can enter a fixing program to repair the boot issue or perform other tasks, like format and wipe a disk with this Windows PE USB.
Now you can download the demo version beforehand to see how it works.
Next, connect sd to a PC via an adapter and we demonstrate to you how to create a bootable SD card and boot from the SD card.
✍Before starting, you should know:
If your system is Windows Server, you can try AOMEI Partition Assistant Server Edition.
you can use the Windows ISO file to make you SD card bootable. If you don't have it, AOMEI Partition Assistant can also create bootable SD with the current OS.
Because the SD card needs to be formatted, please backup the SD card before the operation.
2. Choose “Create Windows To Go with system disc/ISO”, and click “Next”.
3. And select the SD card and click “Browse” to choose the ISO file.
4. Then click "Proceed", and it will note you that the program will delete all data on this SD card. Make sure you have had a backup, and click "Yes".
2. And choose “Create Windows To Go with the current system” and click “Next”.
3. Then the current OS information will be demonstration on a pop-up window. And click “Next”.
4. Then select SD card, and click “Proceed”, and the program will note you the Windows will be restart and all data on the SD card will be wiped, read it and click “Yes”.
✍ Tip: you can choose the type of created system and startup mode by click “Advanced”.
When the process is over, you can plug this bootable SD card to another computer, if you have a USB flash drive, you can also create a bootable USB drive with the same steps.
BIOS is the program that makes the computer system started after you turn it on. So you have to enter it to “tell” BIOS you want to boot the system from SD card, and your computer can boot from SD card. Let’s see how to do it.
Step 1. Plug the SD card into another computer, power on the computer, once you see the first screen, press functional key (F2, F3, F4, F5, ESC), and enter BIOS.
Step 2. In the BIOS menu, choose “Enter setup”
Step 3. Choose “Change boot order” in the “setup” utility
Step 4. To give the SD card a boot priority, you need to move it to the top of the boot sequence list.
Step 5. Press “Enter” or follow the instruction on the right side of window to save the operation.
Step 6. Restart the computer, and it can boot from SD card successfully.
This is how to make your OS boot from SD card. AOMEI Partition Assistant provides easier and more flexible solutions than Microsoft Windows To Go. The same methods are also applicable to boot OS from SD card in HP, Lenovo, Acer, and other computers. More importantly, you don’t need to buy other Windows versions and prepare installation ISO files.