Reasons to copy partition to another drive
Different from cloning an entire disk, copying partition is a process of migrating only a selected partition (a part of whole disk, not an entire disk) to another partition or other SSD/HDD. Generally, And you can enjoy the following benefits from this operation.
Back up important data: No matter you plan to copy system partition or data partition to SSD/HDD; you can make an exact backup of data stored on the selected partition.
Get rid of bad sectors: If the disk, containing the selected partition, suffers some bad sectors, you can copy important partitions to another disk to avoid bad sectors.
Transfer data quickly: When all crucial data is saved in one partition, or you just want to only keep this partition during disk replacement, copying partition will help transfer data more quickly than copying a whole disk or copying files one by one.
Recommended freeware to clone partition to another hard drive in Windows PC
If you are planning to delete partition, format partition, shrink partition or extend partition, Windows built-in tools like Disk Management and Diskpart can help you a lot. But for cloning partition, you need to use a third-party utility since Windows doesn't offer such functions by far. AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard is a great tool to copy partition to another hard drive in Windows 10/8/7 and Windows XP/Vista all editions.
This free disk partition software provides you with two copy methods:
● Copy Partition Quickly (file by file): only copies all existing files from the source partition to the destination disk.
● Sector-by-Sector Copy (complete copy): copy both all available files and lost/deleted files from the source partition to the destination disk.
Copy partition to another drive free within 5 steps
Now you can free download AOMEI Partition Assistant and learn how to copy partition to another drive in five steps.
Before that, pay attention to:
1. Only the unallocated space could be selected as the destination place to hold the source partition. So if there is not such a space, please first create one by shrinking existing partitions or deleting an unused partition.
2. The unallocated space must be equal or larger than the used space on source drive if you choose "Copy Partition Quickly". For "Sector-by-Sector Copy", the free space must be equal or larger than the original drive.
3. Please close programs running on the partition which you are going to copy, otherwise, this partition copying operation will be executed under PreOS Mode.
Step 1. Install and launch AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard, right click the partition you wish to copy to another drive, and select "Clone Partition".
Step 2. In this window, two different ways are available to copy partition. Select one according to your needs and then click "Next".
Step 3. Select an unallocated space to save the copy of the selected partition, and then click "Next" to continue. If you are copying partition to SSD drive, you can tick the option "Optimize the performance of SSD".
Step 4. In the pop-out window, you can resize partition as you like, or you can keep the default settings and click "Finish".
Step 5. In the main interface, you can preview the result. If you are satisfied with it, click "Apply" and "Proceed" to execute this operation.
1. To clone Windows partitions to SSD/HDD, the Standard edition only supports cloning Windows volume from MBR to MBR disk. If you are trying to copy OS partition from MBR to GPT, GPT to GPT, GPT to MBR, please upgrade to the Professional version.
2. To clone partition to another hard drive in Windows Server 2003, 2008 (R2), 2012 (R2), 2016 and 2019. please check out AOMEI Partition Assistant Server.
Further reading: copy partition to another drive using CMD
Besides using a professional partition clone tool to copy partition, you can also make use of xcopy command to copy files and directories, including subdirectories from one partition to another. See how to use xcopy commands to clone a partition:
Step 1. Click “Start” and type “cmd”. Right click on "cmd" and select “Run as administrator”.
Step 2. Type "xcopy c:\ f:\ /s /e /h /i /c /y" and press Enter to copy all the files and subdirectories (including any empty subdirectories, any system or hidden files) from partition C to partition F. Replace the drive letter based on your situation.
The above parameters mean:
● /s: copy directories and subdirectories except empty ones. If you omit “/s”, xcopy will work within a single directory.
● /e: copy all subdirectories, including the empty one.
● /h: copy the hidden and system file.
● /i: force xcopy to assume that destination is a directory
● /c: force xcopy to continue even if it encounters an error.
● /y: stop the xcopy command from prompting you about overwriting files from source that already exist in the destination location.
Compared with copy partition to another drive using CMD, AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard provides an easier way to clone partition in Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista. Besides, its "quick copy (with file by file)" method makes it possible for you to copy larger partition to smaller partition and copy larger HDD to smaller HDD.
What's more, the "Migrate OS to SSD" wizard offered by Professional enables you to migrate only OS partition to SSD or HDD. It also has many other amazing features like converting boot disk between MBR and GPT disk without deleting partitions, converting dynamic to basic disk without losing data, recovering lost/deleted partitions.