When need to clone SD card in Windows?
“Hello, experts, I can't seem to find a way to clone an SD card inserted into my PC to another external hard drive? (Ideally sector by sector).Is this possible? If possible, how do I clone my SD card step by step? I'm running Windows 10. Thanks!”
The SD card is a kind of non-volatile memory card, which is widely used in portable devices such as Android phones, digital cameras, media players, video game consoles and more. It provides a quite convenient way to store files, but you might need to clone your SD card in Windows in order to:
①Make a complete data backup
If everything on the SD card is important, cloning this entire SD card to another disk will make a complete data backup, effectively avoiding data loss or damage.
②Upgrade or replace SD card
If the current SD card capacity cannot satisfy your needs anymore, you can clone it to another larger one to make an easy upgrade while keeping precious data safe. Or when your current SD card is about to fail, cloning it to another good SD card can help replace it without losing data.
③Transfer files faster than copy&paste
Cloning SD card to another one is also an effective way of transferring all files from one location to another. It is much faster than mannually copying and pasting files one by one.
Freeware to clone SD card to smaller/larger SD card
SD card cloning is the process that you make an exact replica of everything on a different disk or drive. The process might cost your time and effort, but it is always worthy. Well then, how do you clone an SD card? It will be an easy task with the right disk cloning utility. Here we would like to recommend you using AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard. This free SD card cloning software allows you to clone non-bootable and bootable SD card with two different clone methods:
1. Clone Disk Quickly: only copy the used space of the disk to another one, and you can adjust partition size during the cloning process. In this way, you can clone an SD card to a smaller SD card.
2. Sector-by-sector Clone: clone every sector of the disk to the destination disk no matter the sector is used or not. This method requires the destination SD card is larger than, at least equal to, the source SD card. So you can clone an SD card to a larger SD card.
Tutorial: clone SD card for free on Windows 11/10/8/7
Now we will show you how to clone an SD card in a Windows computer step by step.
- Back up everything on the destination drive, because the cloning operation will erase data saved on it.
- Make sure the destination location has enough space to hold all data on the source SD card you will clone.
- Prepare an SD card reader to plug your SD card into it and connect this reader to your Windows PC.
- The free standard version only supports cloning MBR SD card to MBR drive. If you are going to clone MBR SD card to GPT, or GPT to MBR/GPT hard drive, please upgrade to the Professional version.
Then you can download and install free AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard on your Windows 11/10/8/7 computer and check out the step-by-step guide.
Step 1. Run the SD card cloning software. In its main interface, Click “All Tools” > “Disk Clone Wizard” in the left pane.
Step 2. In this window, you can choose a proper copying method according to your actual situation and requirements, here we choose the first one and click "Next".
Step 3. Here you can choose the source SD card you want to clone, click "Next".
Step 4. Now select the target disk to hold all content on the source SD card and click "Next".
Step 5. In this window, you can adjust the partitions on the destination disk, or you can skip it by clicking "Next" to go to next step.
Step 6. Back to the main interface, click "Apply" to begin the cloning process.
When done, the SD card has been cloned to another data storage device. Besides this feature, AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard is also able to wipe SD card completely to prevent private files from leakage.
AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard offers a free and easy way to clone SD card in Windows 11/10/8/7/Vista/XP. Besides, it is not just designed for cloning SD card, and it is aslo able to format 64GB SD card to FAT32, format RAW SD card, fix SD card errors, convert SD card between FAT32 and NTFS without losing data, etc.
If you want to experience more advanced functions including converting system disk from MBR to GPT for Windows 11, secure erasing SSD drives, allocating free space from one partition to another, extending system partition without restarting computer and more, you can make use of AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional.