You might encounter write protection error when you use a SanDisk flash drive, memory card, Micro SD card or SSD drive, etc. You could not modify, transfer files on SanDisk storage devices, and it refuses to format and create partitions on SanDisk pen drive/USB drive/SSD with Disk Management. As you know, write protection (read only) is the ability of a hardware device or software to prevent new information from being written or old information being changed. That is to say, you can read the data on SanDisk drives, but not write.
The factors responsible for SanDisk write-protected issues
As a newbie for computers, maybe you have no idea why it happens. Thus, we will show you the factors in the following table. These factors could be responsible for SanDisk write protected errors:
🗂Improper file systems
Windows and Mac computers use distinct file systems. NTFS for Windows and macOS for Mac. Many storage devices like USB flash drives, Micro SD cards, use NTFS or FAT32, which is compatible with Windows Vista through 11. But, Mac doesn't support NTFS.
🎮Write-protected switch is on the lock position
There is something you have to be aware of some SD cards or pen drives has a switch to turn on or off write protection on that device. Make sure it is in unlock position.
🐞 Hacked SanDisk devices
Please run an anti-virus software to scan a virus and remove it.
🚚 SanDisk devices are filled up
Check and backup your files to a safe place, spare enough space then check if the problem insists.
🔑 Wrong Windows registry key value
If a wrong registry key value is set or modified improperly, the error will occur because the incorrect registry value restricts write access to the USB drive, making it appear as if the drive is locked for writing data.
Full solutions for SanDisk SD card/USB drive/SSD write-protected issues
Generally, the best way to fix SanDisk's write-protected error is formatting the device. But it doesn’t work sometimes in Disk Management. Therefore, is there any other way to remove write protection for SanDisk? You will get a positive answer. Here, we will show you the best 2 ways to fix this problem: CMD commands and free SanDisk write protected format tool.
Way 1. Remove read-only with CMD commands
You can choose one of the below two commands to do SanDisk write protection removal:Regedit and Diskpart.
1. Press Windows + R at the same time to open the Run box. Type Regedit in Windows search box to open Registry Editor.
3. Double click the WriteProtect, Change the value from 1 to 0 and click OK to save this change. Then exit the Registry Editor and restart your PC, insert your SanDisk USB/SD card/SSD again, you’ll find the SanDisk device is not write-protected anymore. You can format it and create partitions on it at ease.
1. Type DISKPART in Windows search box and hit enter.
2. Enter LIST VOLUME and press enter.
3. Type SELECT VOLUME #, the # is the volume number of your SanDisk USB/SD card/SSD drive, which you want to remove write protection from.
4. Type ATTRIBUTES DISK CLEAR READONLY, press enter.
Then check if the issue still exists, if the problem solved, congratulations. If not, you may try the best free write protected pen drive/SD card/SSD format tool for SanDisk to remove write-protected.
Way 2. Free Sandisk format tool for write protected Micro SD card/pen drive/USB drive
The best free SanDisk write protection removal tool-AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard, which is a powerful disk partitioning software for Windows 7/8/10/11 users. It allows you to format a SanDisk write protected USB/SD card/SSD drive easily and efficiently. Here you can refer to the instructions to fix SanDisk write protected device:
1. SanDisk write protected format tool free download for write protected issue. Install and execute the procedure.
2. Insert your SanDisk USB drive/SD card/SSD drive into your Windows 7/8/10/11 PC, then right click the write-protected SanDisk USB/SD card/SSD drive and select Format Partition at the combobox.
3. Type Partition Label and choose File System for SanDisk storage device, and hit OK.
4. Click Apply to remove write-protected with SanDisk format tool for write protected pen drive/SD card/SSD drive.
That's all about how to repair SanDisk write protection problem. AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard as a free disk partitioning tool, you are given the ability to resize, move, create, delete, format, merge, split partitions, etc. You could create WinPE bootable media to boot up your PC if the system failed to boot, and so on.
You could upgrade to Professional edition with many advanced functions like command line partitioning, allocate free space, migrate OS from MBR disk to GPT disk, dynamic disks and volumes management, and more. Or you could take a shoot with the Server edition, which covers all functions of the professional one, if you are a Windows Server user.