About WD Quick Formatter Tool
WD Quick Formatter Tool, also called WD Advanced Format Drives (AFDs), is a format utility developed by Western Digital Technologies, Inc. for Windows and Mac. The WD Quick Formatter is only for external drives, like WD My Passport Ultra. By default, WD Quick Formatter will format the drive to FAT32 or NTFS and after formatting, a partition used to optimize the performance of the drive will be left. Reformat and repartition the external drive are also available.
In most cases, this format tool is used to repair corrupted hard drive, i.e. when you cannot use the external drive, it will help you fix the problem and access to the drive. However, sometimes we format an external hard drive using WD Quick Formatter software for Windows backup. Except for WD external hard drive, one can also run WD Quick Formatter on Seagate external drive or other brands of external drive. Besides, if cloned WD external hard drive to another external drive before, a formatting for new files is necessary. You can download WD Quick Formatter for Windows 7 or Windows 10 on WD official website.
How to Use WD Quick Formatter?
Note: Once starts, all data on the drive will be erased. Please backup files that you care most to safe place.
1. Connect the external drive to your PC. Download WD Quick Formatter for Windows 10, 8, 7, or XP. Mostly, you need to unzip it before installing.
2. When it is started, a welcome window will come into your sight. Read the warning and click “Continue”.
3. Accept the “End User License Agreement”.
4. Now, the program will scan for external drives to be formatted. When it completes scanning, select the drive you want to format from the drop-down list.
Tips: If the external drive is 2TB in size or less, you can directly format it. If it is greater than 2TB, you have “Factory Default” and “XP Compatible” two options to select. Choose the right one according to your situation.
5. Wait for the formatting process to be completed and click “Exit” to leave the window.
*If you receive the error that prompts it cannot mount the volume, close all applications on the external drive or whatever may use this drive and try again. Software like automatic backup programs, anti-virus and remote access applications are likely take up the drive.
Better WD Quick Formatter Tool in Windows 7/8/10
Why would you need another format utility? It is true that the WD Quick Formatter is easy to use with advanced technologies embedded. Nevertheless, situations like WD Quick Formatter format external drive failed or WD Quick Formatter not working complained by users now and then. What’s worse, this application not allowing 4K to 512 sector format, which may reduce the performance of portable solid state drives.
Therefore, if you’re unlucky and encounter one of these situations, you can try alternative to WD Quick Formatter – AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional. This software allows you to format WD, Seagate or other external drive to NTFS, FAT32, FAT, EXT2, or EXT3 in a few clicks. This software supports quick format and change cluster size of the file system. In addition, you are allowed to specify partition label when formatting. It has a user-friendly interface which is suitable for both computer newcomer and expert. Command line partitioning is also supportable.
Quick Formatter Alternative to Format External Drive in Windows 7
1. Connect the external drive to your computer and make sure it can be detected by Windows. Download Windows 7 WD Quick Formatter alternative – AOMEI Partition Assistant. Install and launch it.
2. Right-click the external drive and select “Format Partition”.
3. At this window, specify partition label, file system as well as cluster size. Then click “OK”.
4. Click “Apply” in the tool bar to execute the pending operation.
Within only 4 steps, you can finish the formatting using AOMEI Partition Assistant like you do with WD Quick Formatter tool in Windows 7. Other than format partition on external drive, you can also use this software to format internal disk. Moreover, you can format other brands of hard drive like format Transcend StoreJet. USB flash drive like Intenso USB stick format can be achieved.