When need to repair Western Digital MBR?
MBR (stands for Master Boot Record) is a boot sector that contains data of partition table on disk. It is created on the first partition when you install Windows for the first time. When being turned on, a computer would seek the hard drive that contains an operating system and then loads its MBR of that hard drive.
Thus, if the MBR on your Western Digital or other disk is corrupted, the system would be not allowed to access your disk. The disk may become “Unknown and Not Initialized”. And if it is the system disk, you would meet the following booting errors when you boot system:
● Operating system not found
● Error loading operating system
● No bootable medium found
Next, we will guide you on how to repair a Western Digital disk with corrupted MBR step by step.
The recommended tool to repair MBR of WD-AOMEI Partition Assistant
In order to fix a system Western Digital hard drive, you might need to create a Windows PE (Pre-installation Environment) device, which contains a system program allowing you to enter a disk management utility to fix the disk.
Here, we recommend a free yet powerful Western Digital disk tool called AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard. Its “Make Bootable Media” and “Rebuild MBR” can successfully help you create a Win PE bootable USB drive and fix MBR of WD in windows 10/8/7.
Now, follow the 3 steps to fix MBR on Western Digital hard drive.
✍Note: If Western Digital disk is a data disk, and the system can boot up successfully, you can just start your computer, download and open AOMEI Partition Assistant. Then skip to step 3.
Step 1. Create a Windows PE bootable drive
Firstly, you need to insert a USB into another working computer and ensure it is detected by the computer. Then back up the USB if there are important data since this operation will delete all data stored on it.
1. Install and open the AOMEI Partition Assistant. And click “Create Bootable Media” on the main interface. Then click “Next” in the pop-up window.
2. Choose the “USB Boot Device”, and select your USB.
3. You will be noted that your USB will be formatted, ensure you have backed up it if there are important data. And click “Yes”.
4. Wait for the process to complete, and click “Finish”.
Step 2. Boot from the Windows PE drive
Now, you can insert the USB to your computer, and boot from the USB to repair the MBR of Western Digital hard drive.
1. Turn on the computer. When you see the first screen, press and hold the function key that allows you to enter BIOS, usually it is F1, F2, F3, and Esc. Consult the computer manual if you don’t know the exact key to enter BIOS.
2. Under Boot Menu, Choose "Change Boot Order, and set the USB as the boot drive.
3. Press Enter. Now you can boot the computer from the USB.
Step 3. Repair MBR of Western Digital with AOMEI Partition Assistant
Boot up your computer from the USB and execute the following steps to perform Western Digital hard drive MBR repair.
1. Once the computer starts up, you will see the main interface of AOMEI Partition Assistant, and right-click the Western Digital disk that you need to repair MBR. And select “Rebuild MBR”.
2. In the pop- up windows, set the type of MBR for the current OS according to your operating system. And click “OK”.
3. Then click “Apply” and “Proceed” to start repairing.
Repair MBR of Western Digital with installation CD/DVD
Besides performing western digital hard drive MBR repair via AOMEI Partition Assistant, you can also repair it with installation CD/DVD if you have one available. But different operating systems may vary a little in some steps. Below is how to fix MBR in Windows 7/8/8.1/10.
Part 1. Western Digital MBR repair in Windows 7
1. Put Windows 7 installation CD/DVD into your computer and boot computer from it.
2. Wait for the message “Press any key to boot from CD or DVD” to show on the screen, press any key to boot from the CD/DVD.
3. Choose “language” and “keyboard layout”, then click “Next”.
4. Choose the operating system and check “Use recovery tools that can help fix problems starting Windows”, then click “Next”.
5. Then the "System Recovery Options" window will pop up, click “Command Prompt”.
6. Input the following commands in the Command Prompt and press Enter each time.
Take out the installation CD/DVD, and start your computer.
Part 2. Western Digital MBR repair in Windows 8/8.1/10
1. Put Windows 8/8.1/10 installation CD/DVD into computer and boot your computer from the CD/DVD.
2. Click “Repair your computer” on the screen.
3. Choose “Troubleshoot” > “Command Prompt”.
4. The Command Prompt will be launched, and type the following commands and press Enter each time.
When the operation is completed, remove the CD/DVD, and restart your computer.
As you can see, AOMEI Partition Assistant is very convenient and effective to perform Western Digital MBR repair, especially when you don’t have the installation CD/DVD or you are not an expert at running commands to repair MBR. Besides, AOMEI Partition Assistant is a great disk management tool that can help you to migrate data from Western Digital disk, create/resize/format partition, change data disk between MBR and GPT partition style, etc.
If you upgrade to Professional edition, you can unlock more features, for example, you can also zero-fill the hard drive to fix bad sectors, you can convert system disk between MBR and GPT partition styles.