What is dynamic disk Windows?
Dynamic disk and basic disk are two disk types. Both of them support MBR and GPT partition styles. But they are different. Dynamic disk is a physical disk initialized for dynamic storage. It contains simple volumes, spanned volumes, striped volumes (RAID-0), mirrored volumes (RAID-1), and RAID-5 volumes. Because of these different volumes, it provides the features that basic disks do not, like the ability to improve data's efficiency of read-write speed, to create new volumes which span multiple disks, to create fault-tolerant volumes and so on.
Why you need to clone dynamic disk?
If you are using dynamic disk, there must be a large amount of data stored on it. And you might need to clone the dynamic disk for many reasons, including:
1. If you find your computer runs slower and slower, you need to consider whether it is your dynamic runs out of space. Thus, you may need to replace the dynamic disk with a larger one. But you want to keep the old data on the new large disk. Thus, copying the dynamic disk should be the best way to change hard drive without losing data.
2. If your dynamic disk is too old to perform well, you may consider to change it with a brand-new disk. Thus, cloning the dynamic disk should be the best way for keeping old data on the hard drive.
3. You can also clone dynamic disk to another disk simply for backing up. Once the dynamic disk broken or other unexpected things lead to data loss, you can get back the data on the cloned disk, which would minimize the damage of data loss.
In a word, cloning dynamic disk to another hard disk has many advantages. And you need to consider to make a copy file of your dynamic disk.
How to clone dynamic disk in Windows 10/8/7?
After reading the reasons why you need to clone it, now it’s important to learn how to perform this task. However, many users found a problem - cannot clone dynamic disk directly. Instead, you need to convert the dynamic disk to a basic disk, then clone the basic disk to another one, and finally convert the cloned disk to dynamic disk. Below are the detailed guide on how to clone dynamic disk in Windows PC.
Step 1. Convert dynamic disk to basic disk
To convert dynamic disk to basic disk firstly, we highly recommend you AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional. It is able to convert dynamic disk into basic without deleting dynamic volumes.
1. Install and launch AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional, then click "All Tools" > "Dynamic Disk Converter".
2. When you get into AOMEI Dynamic Disk Converter, you can choose a way to convert dynamic disk or dynamic volume to basic one. Here we select the first one.
3. Next, choose the dynamic disk to convert to basic disk, and click "Next".
4. Finally, click Commit ->Proceed to execute the operation.
* After converting, it will pop-up a window to remind you that to take effect, you
must restart your computer.
Step 2. Clone the converted dynamic disk to basic disk
When you restart your computer, you can see that your dynamic disk has been changed into basic disk. And then, you can use AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional to copy dynamic disk to another disk as the steps below:
1. Connect the disk that you want to copy the dynamic disk to your computer. Make sure it can be detected.
2. Launch AOMEI Partition Assistant. Here you can see all disks on your PC. Click All Tools >Disk Clone Wizard.
3. When you get into the Disk Copy Wizard, select disk copy
type you need here.
4. Select the basic disk (which is the dynamic disk before) as
the source disk.
5. Select the new disk as the target disk. Click Next.
* If your target hard drive is an SSD, you can check the option of “Optimize the
performance of SSD”, which will improve the SSD’s performance.
6. Finally, click Apply ->Proceed.
Step 3. Convert the cloned basic disk to dynamic disk
As so far, you have already cloned your dynamic disk to another disk. If you still need a dynamic disk, you can convert the basic disk to dynamic disk with Windows Disk Management.
This is how to clone dynamic disk in Windows 10, 8, 7. The AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional is a great tool to manage the dynamic disk. For example, it is able to resize/move volume, shrink volume, delete/format volume, change label, change letter, add drive to RAID and so on. To enjoy such advanced features on Windows Server computer, you can try the AOMEI Partition Assistant Server.