NTFS and FAT32 are two different file systems that are being used by the computer or more appropriately, the operating system. The FAT is the short of File Allocation Table, which is used in the early computer. And the FAT32 is an extension which means that data is stored in chunks of 32 bits. The NTFS, standing for New Technology File System, took over from FAT as the primary file system being used in Windows. Here we compared between those two different files systems like the following form.
Max. Partition size
Max. File Name
Max. File Size
Local and Network
Windows95/97/98, WindowsMe, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP/Vista
Windows Server 2000, 2003, 2008 (R2), 2012 (R2), 2016
The truth is that users would like to convert between NTFS and FAT32 file systems. And this article will introduce you when you need to convert NTFS to FAT32 on Server 2012 and how to do it.
When convert NTFS to FAT32 on Windows Server 2012?
Generally, there are many situations you need to convert NTFS to FAT32. For example, if you need to use the drive on the Windows operating system which is not compatible with NTFS, you need to convert to FAT32 to solve the problem. Besides, if your game controllers (such as XBox 360, PS3, etc) or game drives cannot be recognized because the drive is of NTFS file system, you also need to convert NTFS to FAT32 for better compatibility.
How to convert NTFS to FAT32 on Server 2012 without data loss?
It is easy to convert FAT32 to NTFS with command “convert : /fs:ntfs”. But there is no way to convert NTFS back to FAT32. The only way to do that is to reformat this NTFS partition again and choose the FAT32. Of course, the reformatting process will erase all data in this partition, so backup is necessary.
Although Windows Server native tools cannot convert FAT32 to NTFS, luckily, there are third-party software that can help convert NTFS to FAT32 on Windows Server 2012. AOMEI Partition Assistant Server is one of the popular choices. Its “NTFS to FAT32 Converter” enables you to change the file system between NTFS and FAT32 without formatting or losing data. You can download the Demo version and refer to the steps.
1. Connect the NTFS external hard drive you need to convert to FAT32 to your Server 2012. Install and run AOMEI Partition Assistant Server.
2. To convert NTFS to FAT32 on Server 2012 without losing data, here you need to open NTFS to FAT32 Converter through clicking “Convert” in the top toolbar, and choose “Convert to NTFS/FAT32”.
3. You will move into the wizard to convert NTFS to FAT32 while keeping the old data on the drive. Choose "NTFS to FAT32" and click "Next" button.
4. Choose the NTFS partition that you want to convert to FAT32 and click "Next".
Note: The program will analyze the partition if there are compressed and encrypted files featured with NTFS. Also, it allows you directly process the files just by clicking "Start to decompress there compressed files" and "Start to decrypt these encrypted files".
5. Confirm the partition that will be converted to FAT32, then, click "Proceed" and "Yes".
6. The conversion is been executed, and you will receive a message after completing the conversion.
Wrap things up
With AOMEI Partition Assistant Server, you can easily convert NTFS to FAT32 on Server 2012 (R2) without reformatting/losing data. This software can work with Windows Server 2022/2019/2016/2008 (R2)/2003 as well. As a great and comprehensive partition manager for Windows Server, it has many amazing functions. For example, you can use it to clone hard disk, clone partition, transfer OS to SSD/HDD, extend system partition on Windows Server; converting dynamic disk into basic without losing data and more.