Format SD card/pen drive/memory card or other flash drives on Windows 10 will erase all data on the devices. It is recommended to save data before formatting SD card.
You need to format SD card
There are many reasons for users to format SD card. Under many circumstances, you may need to format SD card to NTFS, FAT32, or exFAT file system.
1. You may need to format SD card for compatible with different devices such as camera, smartphone, game console, music player, etc.
2. Besides, when your SD card corrupted, damaged, or inaccessible, try to format it may fix the errors.
3. Format SD card also can help you clean the SD card, so that you can use it as a new storage device.
How to format SD card on Windows 10?
Man users would like to know how to format SD card, pen drive, memory card or other flash drive on Windows 10. Here we will provide you how to format SD card on Windows 10 with Windows File Explorer, Windows Disk Management, CMD, and SD card formatter.
Method 1. Formatting SD card with Windows File Explorer
You can follow the content below to format SD card on Windows 10 easily.
1>. Connect your SD card to your Windows 10 computer with a card reader. Make sure it can be detected.
2>. Double-click “This PC” on the desktop or press “Windows + E” keys simultaneously to open Windows Explorer. In this window, you can see the connected SD card.
3>. Right-click the SD card and select Format in the pop-up menu.
4>. Here, you can select the file system which you want to format the SD card as. Here are three options: NTFS, FAT32, exFAT. Choose the one you need, click Start.
Method 2. Formatting SD card with Windows Disk Management
Disk Management is a Windows built-in tool that for managing disks on your computer. It also can be sued to format storage devices like SD card, pen drive, memory card, etc. Do as following steps.
1>. Right click This PC -> Management -> Disk Management.
2>. Here you can see the SD card in the list. Right-click the SD card partition and select Format.
3>. On the format window, check the box of Perform a quick format,choose a file system and allocation unit size.
Note: Windows was unable to format an SD card which larger than 32GB into FAT32.
Method 3. Formatting SD card using CMD
If you are familiar with Windows command prompt, you can format SD card on Windows 10 using Diskpart.exe.
1. Type cmd in the search box. Right-click on Command Prompt and choose "Run as administrator".
2. In the command prompt, type diskpart and press "Enter".
3. Type list disk to list all the available drives on your computer and press "Enter".
4. Type select disk n ( n refers the disk number of your SD card) to select the SD card you want to format and press “Enter”.
5. Type clean to clean the SD card you have selected and press "Enter".
6. Type create partition primary to create a partition on the cleaned SD card and press "Enter":
7. Type format fs=ntfs (or format fs=exfat) and press "Enter" to format the drive with NTFS or exFAT.
8. Type assign letter n: (for example, assign letter=f:) to assign a drive letter and press "Enter".
Although Windows 10 provides you those three ways to format SD card on Windows 10, you may still fail with error message Windows was unable to complete the format, or the diskpart has encountered an error access is denied that you cannot format SD card.
Fortunately, the SD card format tool can help you.
Method 4. Formatting SD card with SD card format tool
For SD card format tool, AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard is highly recommended. It can help you format SD card on Windows 10 much easier and simpler. It allows you to format SD card to NTFS, FAT32, exFAT, Ext2, Ext3, Ext4 no matter what size it is, such as 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, 128GB, etc. Besides formatting, it can help you solve other Windows errors such as cannot extend volume to unallocated space, Disk Management all option greyed out;Shrink Volume greyed out, etc.
Free Download AOMEI Partition Assistant.
* AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard is free for Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP users. If you are Windows Server, you need to turn to AOMEI Partition Assistant Server Edition.
Step 1. Connect SD card to your Windows 10 computer. Install and launch the program. It will show you the main interface contains all disks on your PC. To format SD card, here you need to right-click the SD card partition, then select Format Partition in the pop-up menu.
Step 2. Here you can edit partition label, choose file system and change cluster size for your SD card. Here we choose to format this 128GB SD card to FAT32. Click OK.
Step 3. Click Apply to submit the pending operations.
Compared with Windows File Explorer, Windows Disk Management, and CMD, using this SD card format tool is much easier and simpler. The AOMEI Partition Assistant allows you to format all SD cards, SDHC memory cards, SDXC memory cards to FAT32, exFAT, NTFS according to your needs. By the way, it provides quick and easy access the the full capacity of your SD card or other partitions by double-clicking the partition under tile-based interface.