Can I run Windows 10 from external SSD on MacBook?
I Need to use some games and applications that fully supported only under Windows environment. Thus I intend to boot Windows 10 on my MacBook. I know that I can install Windows 10 on Mac using Boot Camp Assistant.
But the capacity of my system disk has only 256GB and I' m unwilling to affect my Mac OS disk.
I just got an Samsung portable external solid-state-drive, can I install Windows 10 on it and boot my Mac Book from the external SSD drive?
Create Windows 10 bootable drive that can boot on Mac
When you are reluctant install Windows 10 on Mac system disk as you don’t want to occupy Mac OS disk space, it’s available to create a Windows 10 bootable external drive in Windows-based computer.
To complete this operation, you can turn to a bootable USB creator, AOMEI Partition Partition Assistant Professional. It can save your Windows 10 OS on not only on external SSD, but also on HDD and USB flash drive. Then you can connect the created bootable to Mac Book, iMac, Mac Mini, etc and then run Windows 10 from the external drive on Mac.
Now, down the AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional Demo version to have a try!
Then, have a look at how it makes Windows 10 bootable drive with external SSD for booting on Mac.
✍ Preparation work:
▪ A Windows-based computer. This softeare is compiatble with Windows 10/8/7.
▪ An ISO file, installation disc or ESD file of Windows 10 64bit is required. If you have a Windows 10 ISO/ESD file, please extract it to a proper place with WinRAR or WinZIP.
▪ Connect the external SSD to the Window computer. Back up important data on it and SSD should be formatted with GPT partition style.
Step 1. Install and run AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional. Click All Tools and Windows To Go Creator.
Step 2. In the pop-up window, choose Create Windows To Go for Mac computer and click the Next button.
Step 3. Click the folder icon to select your source file and then click Next.
Step 4. Choose the external SSD that you have connected to the machine click Proceed.
PS.: you can click “Advanced” button to choose the type of created system and target system startup mode.
Step 5. Wait for the process to finish.
This whole process will take about 30 minutes. Please wait patiently for it to complete.
Apart from making a bootable Windows drive that supports booting from Mac, AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional can clone Windows 10 to SSD, rebuild MBR for SSD, convert dynamic disk into basic, etc.
It is compatible with Windows 10/8/7; to manage disks and partitions on Windows Server, try AOMEI Partition Assistant Server.
Run Windows 10 from external SSD on Mac
After creating a bootable external SSD drive, you can follow steps below to make Mac run Windows 10 from the external SSD.
1. Disconnect the external hard drive from the Windows-based computer and connect it to your Mac computer where you need to run Windows 10.
2. Boot the Mac and hold down the Option key until the interface of choosing boot devices appears.
3. Choose EFI Boot and hit Enter key.
3. Your machine can reboot again and it will enter the boot device choose interface automatically. Select EFI Boot and hit Enter again.
4. When the following page shows. Then make your choice and click Next.
5. Wait patiently until you access the Windows environment.
Note: Do not disconnect the external SSD from the Mac computer when you need to work under the Windows environment.