Asus Laptop Running Slow – How to Fix?
Why is your Asus laptop running slow? How to fix slow Asus laptop? You can get satisfied answer for the two questions mentioned above from this post.
“I have an Asus laptop with Windows 10 installed. Now, It takes tens of seconds even 1 minutes to boot up and I have to wait patiently for application to open. Sometimes, my mouse pointer would be stuck and can’t be moved. Can you tell me why is it running so slow and how can I optimize it?”
It’s fairly annoying when you are working, if your laptop is slow to startup or to open apps. To speed up Asus laptop, you’d better have a closer look at what makes it run slow. Some reasons are given below:
Now, it’s time to get into the specific methods about fixing slow Asus laptop.
✔ Method 1. Disable unneeded startup applications
✔ Method 2. Increase the capacity of RAM or end a process
✔ Method 3. Extend virtual memory
✔ Method 4. Free up disk space / upgrade to a large disk
✔ Method 5. Align partition to improve SSD’s performance
✔ Method 6. Defrag partition on your HDD
✔ Method 7. Clean out the dust
Too many startup programs slow down the boot process of your computer. Thus, it’s very necessary to disable unnecessary applications which will start automatically every time you boot computer. Do as the following steps:
1.Press “Ctrl+Alt+Del" and choose "Task Manager",
2. In Task Manage window, click “Startup” tab and you can see the startup programs.
3. Right click the program that you don’t want to load automatically when booting and choose Disable.
4. Then you can exit form this window and the program won’t load on computer startup.
When the capacity of your laptop’s RAM can’t is too small, your laptop can’t support overmuch applications to run smoothly. In such a condition, installing new RAM chips to increase the capacity of RAM will be rather effective in improving laptop’s performance. To see the specific condition of your RAM, In Task Manager, click Performance and Mermory.
Or if you consider that the capacity of mermory is large enough, you can end the process that takes up too much memory to speed up laptop. In Task Manager, click Processes and you can see all running process. To end a process, right click it and choose End Task.
Virtual memory can compensate for the physical memroy through temporarily transfer data from RAM to disk storage. If your Asus computer’s virtual memory is too low, its speed can be affected. Check out the detailed steps on how to extend virtual memory.
1. Right click “This PC” and choose “Properties.
2.In the pop-up window, click “Advanced system settings”.
3. Click “Settings” under “Advanced” tab and click “Advanced”.
4.Click “Change” under “Virtual Memory” and Uncheck “Automatically manage paging file size of all drives”.
5. Choose the drive that contains the paging files you want to change, click “Custom size” and type a new size in megabytes in the Initial size or Maximum size.
6. Click “Set” and “OK”.
When your system drive is almost full, the laptop’s performance will be affected. At this point, you can delete unnecessary files, uninstall unneeded applications to reclaim disk space. To remove temporary files that you don’t need, you can run Disk Cleanup through following steps
1. Double click This PC to enter File Explorer, right click system drive and select Properties.
2. Click Disk Cleanup and the available space that can be freed on C drive will be calculated.
3. After that, choose the files that you need to delete.
If the system hard drive is too small to meet the demand of data storage, it’s time to consider it to a hard drive with larger capacity. To move all content from your current small disk to a larger one without reinstallation, you can turn to powerful cloning software, AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional to clone hard drive to larger one with secure boot.
You can download its demo version to have a free try at first!
If your Asus laptop with Windows installed becomes slow after you clone HDD to SSD, you can try to make 4K alignment for SSD, as partition alignment is important for SSD’s performance. Refer to the detailed steps listed below:
1. Install and launch AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional, right click the partition and choose Advanced and Partition Alignment.
2. n the small pop-up window, Set partition alignment to 4096 sector and click OK.
4. Click Apply and Proceed to commit the operation.
Too many fragmentations can cause system hard drive sluggish. Thus, it’s not a bad choice to defrag your HDD partition to speed up Asus laptop.
Warning: Do not defrag your SSD.
1. Press Windows + R, input “dfrgui” to open Optimize Drivers dialogue.
2. Choose the drive that you want to defrag and click Analyze.
3. Then, click Optimize and wait the process to finish.
Note: To improve laptop’s performance, you can choose to upgrade HDD to SSD.
If your Asus laptop collects lots of dust in the fans and vents, its dissipation can be impacted and it can be slow to respond. Thus, it’s necessary to clean out the dust after your laptop has been used for long time.
If you don’t want to delete files or uninstall unnecessary files one by one, add RAM chips, replace with larger disk or …, wipe all data off the disk in use might be a proper solution. Then, you can reinstall Windows. What you shouldn’t forget is to back up necessary files before wiping.