[Bootable] Clone All Partitions to SSD with Few Clicks
This paper shows you how to clone a hard drive with multiple partitions to SSD in Windows 11/10/8/7 within few clicks. And you can boot from the SSD without any hassle after clone.
Want to clone all partitions (boot partition included) to SSD
“I have a hard disk drive and it has multiple partitions including system partition, recovery partition, and so on. Now, I want to transfer everything on this HDD to my newly bought SSD and then replace HDD with SSD. Is there any advice on cloning all partitions to SSD without boot issue? Thanks in advance!”
Clone all partitions to SSD with cloning software
You can always find reasons to clone a hard drive with multiple partitions to another hard drive: HDD to SSD upgrade without reinstallation, a duplication of operating system and other data saved on these hard drive partitions and etc.
If you want to perform hard drive cloning with all partitions in Windows 11/10/8/7, this powerful and overall cloning software – AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional is highly recommended. It enables you to clone the entire hard drive including boot partition and hidden recovery partition to another disk; it can help you to clone single partition only to another disk as well. Either way allows you to boot from the destination disk successfully after clone. Besides, it is with a user-friendly and concise interface, thus you can handle it rather easily.
How to clone hard drive with multiple partitions to SSD?
Now, let’s see how to copy all partitions on hard drive to SSD in Windows via AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional (supposed that the hard drive is installed with Windows 10). Connect the destination SSD to your computer and do as follows:
* You can download the Demo version of AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional and try it.
Step 1. To clone all partitions to SSD, install, and run it. In the main interface, click “Clone Disk” in the right menu.
Step 2. In the pop-up window, choose a proper way to copy disk based on the specific situation and then click Next (here I choose Sector-by-Sector Clone)
- Clone Disk Quickly:only copies the used space of source disk] allows you copy disk to a smaller one but the capacity of the target disk not smaller than the used space of source one; it allows you to adjust partition size during the copying process.
- Sector-by-Sector Clone:copies all sectors including unused space of source disk] takes more time and requires that the capacity of destination disk not smaller than the capacity of source one.
Step 3. On listed disks, choose your source disk and click on Next button.
Step 4. Then, choose your destination disk and click Next and Yes.
Step 5. A Note about how to boot operating system from destination disk after cloning will pop up. Read it carefully and keep it in mind. Then, click Finish.
Step 6. You’ll return to the main interface and you can preview the result of this operation. Click Apply and Proceed after confirmation
- All data saved on the destination hard drive will be erased; you can back up necessary files before cloning.
- When you clone GPT disk with partitions beyond 3 to MBR disk, “Sector-by-Sector Clone” will convert the destination MBR disk into MBR automatically; “Clone Disk Quickly” will convert extra partitions into logical.
How to boot from the destination SSD drive?
After cloning all partitions to SSD drive, you need to change boot order to boot from the SSD drive.
Step 1.Restart your computer and watch for a message during the POST about a particular key, usually Del or F2, that you'll need to press to access the BIOS setup utility. Press this key as soon as you see the message.
Step 2. After pressing the correct keyboard from the previous step, you'll enter the BIOS Setup Utility.
Step 3. Find and locate the boot order options in BIOS window.
Step 4. Next, move the SSD to the top one and make it as the boot drive.
Step 5. Press F10 to save the BIOS changes you have made and exit.
- If you clone MBR system disk to GPT or GPT system disk to MBR, you need to change boot mode after cloning.
Obviously, it is not a tough task to clone all partitions to SSD or HDD through disk copy using AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional. Actually, it enjoys many other powerful features, allowing you to fix many issues related to partition.
For example, if you encounter C drive full issue, its Merge Partitions function enables you to add non-contiguous unallocated space to C drive; when you accidentally delete partition, Partition Recovery Wizard of it is able to recover deleted partition.