I have a laptop that I am trying to do a clean install of Windows 7 on, but I am
unable to remove the old installation. When I try to format the system volume to clean it for new installation, then I get the following error message when I format it with
Virtual Disk Service Error:
Format is not allowed on the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation
Why format is not allowed on the current boot partition?
As you know, the boot partition (system partition) is a primary partition
that contains the system files, and the supporting files, which are responsible for booting the
operating system. Be default, the Windows operating system files are in the Windows
folder, and the supporting files are in the Windows\System32 folder. If the system
files is corrupted or damaged, your computer will be unbootable. Thus, Windows does not allow you to format the current boot partition when it is running. That’s why you get this
format is not allowed on the current boot issue.
How to successfully format system boot partition?
To avoid the error "format is not allowed on the current boot", you can try the following 2 methods. They are proven to be effective in formatting system boot volume in Windows 10, 8, 7.
Method 1. Using Windows 10/8.1/8/7 Installation Disc
If you have Windows 7/8/8.1/10 installation disc, you could boot your Windows PC from
it, then format the boot partition using DiskPart command in the WinPE mode. You could
refer to these detailed steps:
1. Put the Windows installation disc into your Windows 7/8/8.1/10 PC, boot from
2. Select a language to install, click Next.
3. Press Install Now at the next window, the program will ask you that where do you
want to install Windows, choose C drive and click "Format" to initialize the system
Or you can also press Shift+F10 key combination to open DiskPart at the Windows Setup screen, then execute the below commands to do this boot
select disk n (the n represents the disk number listed that
you want to format)
clean (this command will delete all the data on the selected
create partition primary
assign letter X: (the X: is the drive letter for
After that, you will fix the problem “format is not allowed on the current boot”
Method 2. Using the best disk partitioning freeware
In addition, you could try a reliable partition manager like AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard, which enables you to create bootable media then format
the system partition to fix "the system partition could not be formatted" problem. The
steps are listed below:
1. Please prepare a 16GB USB flash drive and download AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard in
your Windows 7/8/8.1/10 PC, then execute to open this program.
2. Choose Make Bootable Media at the left panel. Click Next.
2. Choose USB Boot Device to create a Windows 7/8/8.1/10 bootable media and press Proceed.
3. Wait for the process to complete. The created bootable USB drive will contain the pre-installed AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard. Then change boot order and boot computer from the media.
4. Once login, you will see the main interface of the AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard. Right-click the C drive and select "Format Partition".
5. Choose a proper file system and click on "OK".
6. Click on "Apply" and "Proceed" to commit the pending operation.
Since you are formatting the boot volume, you cannot boot computer successfully until you reinstall an operating system.
Now, you should know what to do when meeting the error " format is not allowed on the current boot error" in DiskPart. Furthermore, AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard also comes with many other great functions to help facilitate disk partition management: move/merge/clone partition, copy SSD/HDD, etc. Like
the advanced functions such as migrate OS to SSD, allocate free space, convert MBR and GPT without losing data,
and quick partition are provided by the professional edition. For
server users, you could enjoy all of the functions with AOMEI Partition Assistant Server.