Three Ways to Remove NTFS Partition
This post shows three different and effective ways about how to remove NTFS partition in Windows 10, 8, 7.
NTFS, short for New Technology File System, is the standard file system employed by the Windows operating system. It is superior to the FAT file system and performs better in reliability, extendibility, and speed. People often choose to format partition with NTFS file system to store files and folders in Windows OS environment.
To get unallocated space or wipe data, you may want to get rid of an NTFS partition. It’s not tough to complete this operation in Windows. Here three different ways are presented, you can choose one based on your own situation.
1. Open Disk Management by pressing “Windows” + “R”, inputting “diskmgtmt.msc” and hitting Enter.
2. Right-click the NTFS partition that you need to delete and choose Delete Volume.
3. Click Yes to continue.
If the NTFS partition that you intend to delete is recovery partition or the NTFS partition is on SD card/USB flash drive, you are unable to delete it in Disk Management. In such a condition, Diskpart utility can helpful. See the steps below:
1. Access Diskpart utility by pressing “Windows” + “R”, inputting “diskpart” and pressing Enter key.
2. In Diskpart window, run the following commands:
▪ list disk – all disks will be displayed.
▪ select disk n – n is the number of the disk containing the NTFS partition that you want to delete.
▪ list partition – all partitions on disk n will be listed.
▪ select partition m – m is the number of the NTFS partition going to be removed.
▪ delete partition
Diskpart is indeed a useful tool to get rid of NTFS partition including recovery partition. However, if you are unfamiliar with Windows, you are likely to delete another partition accidentally and make data loss.
Thus, it is recommended to apply AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard, a comprehensive and powerful partition manager, which permits you to delete NTFS recovery partition, NTFS partition on SD card, USB flash drive and delete NTFS system partition (Partition C) as well. Take a look at how it works (Take deleting C drive in Windows 10 as an example).
Step 1. Free download AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard. Install and run it. Click Create Bootable Media and do the following prompts to create a Windows 10 bootable media.
Step 2. Reboot your computer and enter BIOS to boot Windows 10 from the bootable USB drive or CD to enter the WinPE environment.
Step 3. After booting successfully, the main console of AOMEI will appear automatically. Right-click NTFS C drive and choose Delete Partition.
Step 4. Between two options, choose Delete partition quickly(Recommended) and clickOK icon.
Step 5. Click Apply and Proceed to commit operation.
It is easy to remove NTFS partition whether it is a data partition, system partition, recovery partition or it is on SD card or USB flash drive. You just need to select one appropriate way among the three methods aforementioned.