About PlayStation 4 (PS4)
PlayStation 4 (PS4) is a home video game console for game users as the successor to the PS3, which is the 8th generation of the PlayStation game machine series. PS4 was launched by Sony Computer Entertainment in 2014. Speaking of Sony PlayStation 4, you may image the PlayStation (PS) VR, which is one of the best virtual reality headsets. In 2016, Sony unveiled a professional edition named PlayStation 4 Pro, which has better hardware settings. You can play large games, watch videos, and listen to music and other entertainment on PS4. Just like computer, PS4 has its own hard drive, a 500GB hard drive, where cannot hold other data after installing a plenty of large games, demos and HD videos. By the way, the PS3 and PS4 can only read the FAT32 format hard drive.
Why Upgrade PS4 Hard Drive?
Upgrading PS4 or PS3 hard drive to larger HDD or SSD is the perfect solution to fix the PS4/PS3 not enough free space in system storage problem. Besides, you can get a better performance, more free space; you can avoid the issues due to the obsolete hard drive. Furthermore, upgrade unlike backup, upgrade PS4 hard drive will migrate all the data, including PS4’s operating system, installed program, user settings, videos, music and other documents, to a larger hard drive. Then you can use these data directly without restoring data. Maybe you are planning to copy PS4 disk to HDD or SSD to upgrade PS4 hard drive without losing data. How to realize PS4 hard drive upgrade?
Detailed Steps to Upgrade PS4 Hard Drive without Losing Data
Before you upgrade, you will look for the best PS4 cloning software to do this migration. Well, now we will show you the best free disk partition manager-AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard in Windows Vista/XP/7/8/10. Meanwhile, format the new larger hard drive or SSD to FAT32 before upgrading. If the file system is NTFS, please convert NTFS to FAT32 without losing data. With this freeware, you can change PS4 or PS3 hard drive to larger HDD or SSD without losing data. Upgrade PS4 or PS3 hard drive step by step as below:
1. Connect the old smaller PS4 or PS3 hard drive and the larger HDD or SSD with your computer, make sure these two can be recognized by Windows. Free download AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard, install and run the program.
2. To upgrade PS4 or PS3 hard drive to larger drive, select Disk Copy Wizard on the left main interface.
3. Select a method to copy, Copy Disk Quickly or Sector-by-Sector Copy, then press Next.
4. Choose the smaller PS4 or PS3 hard drive as source disk to copy, hit Next.
5. Select the larger HDD or SSD as the destination disk to store all the data from PS3/4 hard drive, click Next.
If your destination disk is an SSD drive, please ensure you have ticked the Optimize the performance of SSD option.
The target disk will be overwritten after the cloning. If you use an old larger hard drive as destination disk, you’d better backup it first.
6. Edit the partition size on the larger HDD or SSD drive, then click Next to go on. Press Finish in next window.
Tips: There are three options you can choose from to edit: Copy without resizing partitions, Fit partitions to entire disk, Edit the partitions on this disk.
7. Click Apply to upgrade PS4 or PS3 hard drive without losing data to larger HDD or SSD.
After a few minutes, you will finish the operation of upgrading PS4 hard drive without losing data. Then you will find the larger HDD or SSD is divided into two parts, one is the copied partition as original size; the other is an unallocated space. You can create second partition on that unallocated space, or extend the first partition with the unallocated space. In addition, AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard allows you to migrate OS to SSD, resize partition, move partition, split partition, etc. For more advanced features, you can upgrade to AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional edition.