The Easiest Way to Copy Dynamic Volume on Windows
This article will introduce you to what is dynamic volume and show you how to copy dynamic volume with professional software.
I have some volumes on dynamic disks and want to copy some of them to a spare Seagate hard drive for backup. However, I cannot perform dynamic volume cloning or copying in Disk Management. Can a dynamic volume be cloned? Is there any advice!
-Question from tom‘s Ware
Dynamic disks and basic disks are two commonly used disk types. What they have in common is that they both support MBR and GPT partition styles. But dynamic disk is an upgraded model of the basic disk, and its partition form is different from basic disk.
In dynamic disks, partitions are called volumes. The volume is divided into simple volume, spanned volume, striped volume, mirrored volume, and RAID-5 volume. Due to the existence of these different volumes, it provides functions that basic disks do not have, such as improving the efficiency of data read and write speed, creating new volumes that span multiple disks, and creating fault-tolerant volumes.
After reading the above, I believe you already know what a dynamic volume is. Next, I will use three steps to show you how to easily copy dynamic volumes.
I will introduce to you a third-party software AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional. AOMEI Partition Assistant Pro is a small tool with no bundled software. It contains a professional dynamic disk manager tool that can help you manage dynamic disks and volumes easily and allows you to convert a dynamic disk to a basic disk without deleting the volume.
● Install and launch AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional, then click "All Tools" > "Dynamic Disk Converter".
● When you get into AOMEI Dynamic Disk Converter, you can choose a way to convert dynamic disk or dynamic volume to a basic one. Here we select the first one.
● Next, select the dynamic disk you want to convert, and then click "Next".
● Finally, click Commit ->Proceed to execute the operation.
* After converting, it will pop up a window to remind you that to take effect, you must restart your computer.
Note: If your dynamic volume does not have important data, we can also use the Disk Management that comes with Windows to convert the dynamic disk. Because this operation needs to delete the dynamic volume, it only supports the conversion of empty dynamic disks.
After restarting the computer, you can see that the dynamic disk just now has been converted to a basic disk. In fact, you can understand the volume as a partition, so what we need to do next is to clone the partition. The following will introduce you to the specific steps.
● First, open the partition assistant, on the main interface, right-click the partition you want to copy (here, partition D will be copied), and then select "Clone Partition".
● In this window, select a proper cloning method and click “Next”. Here we select the first method.
● Choose an unallocated space and click "Next" to continue.
● Now, you can resize the partition as you need or just skip it and keep the default settings.
● Back to the main interface, click “Apply” and “Proceed” to commit the pending operation.
After completing the above steps, you have successfully copied the volume to the basic disk.
PS: In addition to copying dynamic volumes to basic disks, Partition Assistant Pro can also help you clone disks.
Since we have used the AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional to convert the dynamic volume to a basic disk in the first step, we can also convert the basic disk back to a dynamic disk.
The operation of converting to a dynamic disk using Partition Assistant Pro is very simple, you only need to open the AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional, find the Dynamic Disk Manager in the main interface, and then select the basic disk you want to convert, and then click Convert to a dynamic disk. A new dynamic disk is created.
Note：You can also use Disk Management to convert basic disks. First open Disk Management, select the disk you want to convert, and click "Convert to Dynamic Disk". In the pop-up dialog box, check whether it is the disk you need to convert. Click "Convert" and you will get the newly converted dynamic disk.
This is how to copy dynamic volumes in Windows. AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional is an excellent tool for managing dynamic disks. To enjoy these advanced functions on a Windows Server computer, you can try AOMEI Partition Assistant Server.