Why convert a dynamic disk to basic?
To achieve advanced features that dynamic disks provide, such as the features to
create spanned, striped, mirrored, or RAID volumes, people often convert a basic
disk to dynamic disk. However, there are some conditions you may consider converting
dynamic disk to basic disk for the compatibility of dynamic disks.
1. Install Windows on other volume. Windows cannot be installed on a dynamic volume
unless the dynamic volume was converted from a basic boot partition or system
2. Want to use OEM partition or the partitions created by other operating system
besides Windows. The partitions not created by Windows become nonfunctional on a
3. Other incompatibilities. For example, Dynamic disk does not support FAT file
Convert dynamic to basic disk for Windows 10 with Disk Management
Disk Management can only convert an empty dynamic disk (without any volume) to a basic disk. Before your erase all the data on the disk, back up the disk that you want to
1. Type “diskmgmt.msc” in the search box and press enter to open Disk Management.
2. In Disk Management, right-click every volume on the dynamic disk, and select "Delete Volume".
3. Wait for the process to complete, and then right click the dynamic disk and select "Convert to Basic Disk".
You can also convert dynamic disk to basic disk using CMD DiskPart.exe, and you also
need to clean the disk first. These two methods are a bit lame as it will cost you
extra time to backup and restore the disk. What’s worse, if the disk you want to
convert to basic disk that contains Windows system, the Disk Management cannot
convert it to basic disk. Fortunately, you can use third party software AOMEI Partition Assistant to convert
dynamic disk to basic disk without affecting the OS.
Convert dynamic disk to basic disk without data loss
AOMEI Partition Assistant Pro is reliable and efficient dynamic disks and volumes management
software that works for Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP/2000. With its built in feature Dynamic Disk Converter, you can convert a dynamic disk to basic disk without data loss. Let’s see how it works:
1. Install and launch the program.
2. click All Tools and select "Dynamic Disk Converter".
3. In the next screen, select Method 1 and click "Next”to continue.
4. Check the dynamic disk you want to convert to basic and click Next. Then check the
confirmation option and click “Proceed” to execute.
5. When the conversion is done, Click OK to restart your computer. Then you’ll see
that the disk has been converted to basic disk.
Besides the feature to convert dynamic disk to basic disk in Windows 10 without data
loss, AOMEI Partition Assistant has many other useful functions as you can see from
the screenshots, such as Windows to GO Creator, Migrate OS to SSD, Resize Partition,Convert disks between GPT and MBR without data loss, etc. To enjoy those amazing functions on Windows Server 2000/2003/2008/2011/2012/2016/2019, please take a look at AOMEI Partition Assistant Server.