Disk Management Windows 10 not Working - How to Fix?
Have meet the problem that Disk Management Windows 10 not working? Here you can learn how to fix the problem and make Windows 10 disk partition well.
“I am using Windows 10 computer. I went into Computer Management to view my Drive Setup. Clicked on Storage, then Disk Management. Nothing showed on screen except for a message saying "Connecting to Virtual Disk Service". I have three SATA Hard Drives, DVD-RW Drive and USB Desktop Hard Drive installed as H: , Can someone assist with this please?”
Actually, Windows 10 has many problems such as 100% disk usage and sometimes the Disk Management won’t load on Windows 10, and you got the error “Unable to Connect to virtual Disk Service” or “Disk Management could not start Virtual Disk Service (VDS) on...”. Fortunately, there are some ways can help you solve the problem that nothing shows up in Disk Management.
Sometimes Disk Management won’t work due to file corruption. If your system files are corrupted, you might have to run DISM or SFC scan to repair them. Here provides you three methods to fix Disk Management not working in Windows 10.
If there are some missing or corrupt system files on your PC, the Disk Management Windows 10 may not work. Thus, you’d better run the system file checker (SFC) to scan all protected system files and replace incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions. To perform system file checker, you can do as following steps:
1. Pressing Windows + X simultaneously, select Search, type cmd, run it as administrator.
2. In the Command Prompt, enter sfc /scannow.
3. System File Checker will scan your system and if any problem found will be noted on the Command Prompt. You should see the following on-screen messages:
Beginning the system scan. This process will take some time.
Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification % complete.
Once the scan has completed you will receive an onscreen message resembling one of the following:
…found no integrity violations
…found corruption but repaired it
…found corruption that it could not repair
If SFC scan doesn’t solve your issue, you can try to run a DISM scan.
1. Open Command Prompt as administrator.
2. When the Command Prompt window pops up, type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and press Enter.
The progress will take about 20 minutes or more, don’t interrupt it. Once the scan is finished, check whether the Disk Management Windows 10 not working problem is persists or not.
There is another way that you can use to fix Disk Management not working in Windows 10 - Fix it from Services Window. Here are the step by step guide for how to do it.
1. In the Search box, type services.msc and press Enter key.
2. Scroll down to Remote Access Connection Manager, double click on it.
3. From Startup type drop list select Disabled then click OK.
4. Then, scroll down to Remote Access Auto Connection Manager and double click on it.
5. From Startup type drop list select Disabled then click OK as we did in step 3.
6. Then, scroll down to Virtual Disk and double click on it.
7. From Startup type drop list select either Manual or Automatic then click OK.
8. Restart your computer then try to open Disk Management tool.
Disk Management is a built-in tool that is able to help you manage hard disk partitions without rebooting system and any interruption. Many Windows 10 users use it to create, delete and format partitions; extend/shrink volumes; change drive letter and paths; convert between MBR and GPT disk, etc. It is a great tool for managing disk. However, it is also existing some problems such as Disk Management not working; Disk Management stuck on loading disk configuration; Disk Management takes a long time to load; Disk Management not initialized, showing anything, opening, loading Windows 7,8, and so on. Besides, many users have met the problems such as Extend Volume greyed out; Shrink Volume greyed out; New Simple Volume greyed out, cannot convert MBR to GPT disk, etc. In order to make things easier, here we introduce you a more powerful disk management tool, the AOMEI Partition Assistant, which can make up the shortages of Disk Management in Windows 10/8/7.
AOMEI Partition Assistant should be the best alternative to Disk Management Windows 10/8/7 as the following reasons:
1. It has a very friendly user-interface that provides the easiest operations. Like the following picture.
2. It is free to Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP users;
3. It can help you resize partition more flexible. It can fix the Extend/Shrink Volume greyed out problems;
4. It allows you to merge partitions, split partitions;
5. It allows you to create partition, delete partition, format partition;
6. It supports you to copy partition, copy disk, migrate OS to HDD/SSD;
7. You can also use it to create bootable media;
8. It allows you to convert MBR to GPT without losing data;
There are a lot of features that can satisfy almost all your requirements. If you need more features, you can upgrade to AOMEI Partition Assistant Pro to get more advanced features, like allocate free space, convert boot MBR to GPT without reinstallation, convert GPT to MBR without losing data, etc. Free download to enjoy this great disk management tool.
* AOMEI Partition Assistant still has the specific edition for Windows Server users. If your machine is based in Windows Server 2016, 2012, 2008, 2003, you can turn to AOMEI Partition Assistant Server edition.