“I'm trying to create a system repair disc for my desktop running Windows 10. I went into control panel and went to "create system repair disc" but when going through the process, it states that files are not available to create repair disc.
What do I do now? I just want to be able to boot up and do a whole reinstall of Windows if something ever happens. ”
Create recovery drive or system repair disc?
Actually, most of the time, you won’t really need a recovery drive or system repair disc. If Windows fails to start normally twice in a row, it automatically boots from your recovery partition on the third restart, and then, loads the advanced startup options to give you access to the same tools as a recovery drive would. If it can’t bring up these tools automatically, then you’ll need to use the recover drive or system repair disc to start your PC up.
We know that Windows 10 users can create both recovery drive and system repair disc to access the Windows advanced boot options for troubleshooting startup. But which one is a better choice?
A system repair disc is a bootable CD/DVD that contains tools you can use to troubleshoot Windows when it won’t start correctly. It also gives you tools for restoring your PC from an image backup that you created before. While a recovery drive is a bootable USB drive that allows users access to the same troubleshooting tools as a system repair disc, but also allows you to reinstall Windows if it comes to that.
Thus, most users would like to create a recovery USB drive. But if your PC cannot boot from USB, you’ll need to create a system repair disc based on CD/DVD.
How to create recovery drive or system repair disc?
Windows 8 and Windows 10 support you to create recovery drive (USB) or System repair disc (CD/DVD). and here we will introduce you how to create recovery drive or system disc in Windows 10.
Create recovery drive
To create a recovery drive in Windows 10, you can do as following steps:
1. Press Windows key + S key simultaneously, in the search box, type “recovery drive”, and then, select the “Create a recovery drive” result.
2. In the Recovery Drive window, you can check the option “Back up system files to the recovery drive”, and then, click Next.
3. Select the USB drive that you want to use for the recovery drive. Click Next.
4. Please pay attention to: this operation will erase all data on the USB drive, so make sure the USB drive is empty or you have backed it up already. When you are ready, click “Create” to submit the whole operations.
5. When the progress done, click Finish. After that, you’ll have a drive that you can use to reinstall Windows in a pinch.
Create system repair disc
If you need to create system repair disc, you can follow the steps below:
1. Insert your CD/DVD to your computer, get into Control Panel-> Backup and Restore (Windows 7), and then, click Create a system repair disc on the left.
2. Then, you will get into the Create a system repair disc window. Select the CD/DVD on your computer, click Create disc.
*The Windows will begin to create a system repair disc. it will be faster than creating a recovery drive because it won’t backup system files to the disc.
3. When it’s done, it gives you a note about using the system repair disc. Click Close and then click OK to close the “Create a system repair disc” window.
However, not everyone can use Windows built-in tools to create recovery drive or system repair disc. Like the Scenario said, he went into control panel and went to "create system repair disc" but when going through the process, it states that files are not available to create repair disc. If you meet the similar situations, how do you create a system repair disc in Windows 10?
AOMEI Partition Assistant- help you create a system repair disc in Windows 10/8/7
If you have any problems with Windows tools to create a recovery drive or create a system repair disc, you can turn to a third party software to find a better solution. And AOMEI Partition Assistant is highly recommended. It is a great FREE Windows tool that can help you create system repair disc in Windows 10/8/7 easily.
Before you do:
Prepare a USB drive or a CD/DVD. Here we use a USB drive.
Free Download AOMEI Partition Assistant.
Install AOMEI Partition Assistant to your Windows PC. Connect the USB drive to the OC and make sure it can be detected. Here is a Windows 10 computer.
After that, you can do at the following hints:
Step 1. Launch AOMEI Partition Assistant. The main interface displays you the basic information of all hard drives. To create a system repair disc, here click Make Bootable Media on the left.
Step 2. It will bring you into the program that will help you make a bootable USB drive, disc or a bootable ISO file. Click Next.
Step 3. Here, select a way to make the desired bootable media, here we choose USB Boot Device, and then, click Proceed to start.
* It will pop-up a small window to remind you that the operation will cause that your USB disk is formatted, and suggest you to backup files on the USB drive before doing.
Step 4. Wait a few minutes. When the progress done, click Finish. You’ve already have a bootable USB drive that you can use to access your PC for troubleshooting your PC’s problems.
When you use the bootable drive you created with AOMEI Partition Assistant to boot your PC, it will boot into its main interface, and you can use it to fix your Windows 10/8/7 system problems with Check Partitions, Rebuild MBR, and Surface Test,etc.
AOMEI Partition Assistant is such a FREE and easy tool to create boot drive for Windows 10/8/7 users. By the way, you can use it to create Windows to go USB drive with Windows ISO file, or create Windows to go USB drive with current system directly. It is a great hard disk manager for Windows OS, and you can also upgrade to AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional edition to get much more advanced functions.