How to Run Windows 10 From SD Card?|Step-by-Step Guide
Wanna run Windows 10 from SD card on a notebook or tablet computer? This article tells how to move Windows 10 onto SD card and boot from it successfully.
If you always travel but don’t want to carry a heavy laptop, or need to work with computers that do not have the apps or programs you need for work, then you can consider making a portable Windows SD card or USB flash drive. With it, you will have less to carry, and all your preferences come with you.
In order to load and run Windows 10 from SD card, you can make use of AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional. This software can move Windows 10 onto SD card, make it bootable and then allows you to load Windows 10 from it on other computer, even the brand-new one. Better than some other SD card bootable software, it provides two ways to make a portable Windows 10 SD card:
Now you can download its Demo version for a free trial.
Now. Let’s get started. In the first step, please use AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional to make a Windows 10 bootable SD card.
1. Install and launch AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional. Right click “All Tools” > “Windows To Go Creator”.
2. Choose “Create Windows ToGo for personal computer” and click “Next”.
PS.: If you want to run Windows 10 from SD card on Mac, you can choose the second option “Create Windows ToGo for Mac computer”.
3. Tick “Create Windows To Go with system disc/ISO”, choose the prepared ISO file and click “Next”.
4. Choose the inserted SD card and click “Proceed”.
If the Windows 10 ISO file is not available, you can use the second method to create Windows bootable SD card with current system.
Once done, you have moved Windows 10 operating system onto SD card. Now, take the below steps to load Windows 10 from the bootable SD card.
1. Connect the bootable SD card to the computer from which you want to boot Windows 10. Restart the PC and press a certain key or combination of keys when the splash screen with the manufacturer’s logo is displayed to enter BIOS. (The key differs in different brand computers, usually being F1/F2/F10/Delete/Esc.)
2. In the BIOS interface, use your arrow keys to access and enter all menus to go to the Boot Order/Boot Priority tab. It might be hidden under submenus.
3. Once you found the boot order menu, you can see the structure of your boot order, which determines which devices your computer will try to boot from first, second, etc. Use arrow keys to move the bootable SD card to the top to set it as your first boot device.
4. Press "F10" to save and exit BIOS.
To make a Windows 10 bootable SD card, you should keep in mind that SD card tends to be slow in data writing and reading speed. So it is more recommended to use a 3.0 USB drive or an SSD drive.
Under the help of AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional, you can easily create a bootable Windows 10 SD card and run Windows 10 from SD card on any computer. The same steps can also help make Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 bootable SD card. Besides, it also supports migrating only OS drive to SSD/HDD, cloning bootable SD card, extending system drive without reboot. If you want to create a Windows Server bootable drive, you can try AOMEI Partition Assistant Server.