Windows 10 Slow after Clone – Try These Five Ways
If your computer is slow after cloning to SSD, you can refer to this article and find how to optimize SSD.
Nowadays, SSD is becoming more and more popular because of its powerful read and write performance. After purchasing an SSD, users always choose to clone system from HDD to SSD to avoid reinstalling Windows. However, according to some users, Windows 10 is slow after clone to SSD. Actually, the most common reason for this issue is because of the wrong configuration of SSD, so that the SSD could not be in its best state. Next, I’ll introduce you five methods to optimize SSD.
To get better performance of SSD, you can set SATA controller to AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface) mode in BIOS, which works better with SSD. You can follow the steps below to enable AHCI.
1. While in Windows, press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit, and click on OK to open Registry Editor.
2. In the left pane of Registry Editor, browse to the key location below.
3. In the right pane of the iaStorV key, double click on the Start DWORD to modify it.
4. Type 0 for AHCI, and click on OK.
System Restore is a feature that allows you to restore your computer to a point where it is working fine. As the system restore periodically takes snapshots of your computer, the snapshots will be accumulated. As times go by, it will take up much space of system partition on SSD and influence your computer speed. Therefore, you can turn off System Restore to free up some space on SSD.
1. Type System Restore in the start menu, select Create a restore point.
2. Select a drive and click Configure.
3. Change Restore Settings to Disable system protection then click OK.
Indexing is a good feature designed to provide quick access to files or folders on a hard drive, but it becomes pointless on an SSD. It is recommended to disable disk indexing to decrease the writes to the SSD.
To optimize SSD on Windows 10 by disabling disk indexing:
1. Right clicking on the specific drive in This Computer, and selecting Properties.
2. Under the General tab, uncheck “Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties” to disable disk indexing.
As it is known, disk defragmentation is not needed for SSD and have negative effects. If your SSD is defragmented, you can manually disable the defragmentation.
1. Right-click on any drive connected to your PC and select Properties from the context menu.
2. Select the Tools tab, and then click the Optimize button under the “Optimize and defragment drive” section.
Click on the Change settings button.
3. Uncheck the “Run on a schedule” box to disable automatic drive optimization completely. Or click on the Choose button to turn off automatic optimization for individual drives.
4. Click OK and you’re done.
SSD adopt the smallest 4K sector in file system to save data. If the 4K sector is not aligned in SSD, the performance of SSD could be affected. To check if the 4K sector is aligned, press Windows + R key combo to start Run. Type “msinfo32” and hit Enter. Then go to Components>Storage>Disks and look for your SSD and check the Partition Starting Offset. It needs to be divisible by 4096; otherwise, the SSD block is not alignment correct.
To align SSD, you can use AOMEI Partition Assistant. It is a professional disk manager which is designed for Windows 10/8/7/Visa/XP. Let’s see how to align SSD step by step.
Step 1. Download, install and run AOMEI Partition Assistant. Right click the partition you want to align and select Advanced > Partition Alignment.
Step 2. in the pop-up window, select 4096 sector from the given list and click OK.
Step 3. Click Apply > Proceed to execute the operation.
If your Windows 10 is slow after clone, you can try the methods above to optimize SSD. For users who haven’t cloned hard drive or partition to SSD yet can use Copy Disk feature or Migrate OS to SSD feature of AOMEI Partition Assistant to optimize SSD during the process of clone.
In addition, AOMEI Partition Assistant has many other useful features. For example, you can create a portable Windows 7 USB drive with Windows To Go Creator function. You can also convert between FAT32 and NTFS. All in all, it is an awesome disk manager, do not miss it.