Solved: No Boot Device Available in Windows 7/8/10（Case Study）
Let's walk through why No boot device available in Windows 7/8/10 occurs and how to fix it.
"Help! I have a Dell Inspiron laptop that Windows 7 installed on and it always works well. But I receive “No boot device available-insert boot disk and press any key” prompt when I start up it. Then, I press F1 to restart my computer but this message still appears. What happened to my computer? How can fix “No boot device available” error in Dell computer and boot it normally? Any advice will be appreciated!"
Boot errors like "No bootable device available” and "No bootable device found“ in Windows 10/8/7 can happen for the following reasons:
☞ Boot from a disk that doesn’t contain an operating system.
☞ MBR or boot sector on the bootable disk is corrupted.
☞ The bootable disk is physically damaged
☞ Your computer is infected with the virus.
After realizing the possible causes for boot device not available, it’s time to see how to fix it using effective methods.
To ensure that you boot from right bootable hard drive, you can press certain key to enter BIOS interface while restarting to check boot order. If the disk that you boot computer from is not the right one, press “+” or “-” to set the bootable hard drive as the first in boot order. After that, save changes and restart computer to see whether the error disappears. If the error still exists, try to reset BIOS to default settings by steps given below:
1. Turn off your computer and wait for a while.
2. Restart the computer and press certain key to enter BIOS Setup menu.
3. On the BISO Setup interface, press certain key to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
4. Save changes exit and follow the prompt to restart computer.
PS.: If you are unsure about the key to enter BIOS, you can refer to the user manual of your computer.
If you still meet No boot device available error, you can try to perform a hard reset to restore functionality. Here are detailed steps:
1. Turn off your computer. Remove all external peripheral devices from your computer.
2. Remove AC adapter and battery from your computer.
3. Press and hold the power button for about 15 seconds to drain all the residual energy.
4. Put the battery back and plug the AC adapter into your computer.
5. Turn on your computer to see if it boot normally.
To fix “No boot device available” error automatically, you can turn to Windows Startup Repair. Look at the following steps:
1. Insert your Windows installation disc to your computer and boot from it.
2. In the Install now screen, click “Repair your computer”.
3. In the System Recovery Options window, select “Startup Repair”.
If Startup Repair cannot solve the error, you can try to run Bootrec commands to fix MBR and boot sector within the following steps:
1. Boot computer from Windows installation disc and choose “Command Prompt” in the System Recovery Options window.
2. In Command Prompt window, input the command lines below and press Enter after each.
3. Exit from Command Prompt interface and restart your computer.
If the MBR of your system hard drive is damaged and you have no Windows Installation disc, you can turn to a third-party safe and useful tool – AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard. It owns Make Bootable Media and Rebuild MBR functions. Thus, you can use it to create a bootable device with itself embed. Then, you can boot the Windows 7 computer from the created bootable media and rebuild MBR.
To rebuild corrupted MBR, free download AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard and refer to the detailed steps presented in the following context.
1. Connect a USB drive to a working computer. Install and run AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard. Choose “Make Bootable Media” and follow the wizard to continue.
2. After creating a bootable USB drive successfully, insert it to the computer that “No boot device available” error appears and boot from it.
3. You’ll see the main interface of AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard. Right-click the system hard drive and choose “Rebuild MBR”.
4. In the pop-up window, choose the type of MBR for the current operating system.
5. Back to the main interface, click “Apply”>“Proceed” to perform this task.
▪AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard is with high compatibility, which can work with Windows 10/8.1/8/7, XP, and Vista.
▪ Apart from fixing MBR, this software enjoys many other functions like wiping hard disk drive. And you can get more advanced features like cloning system disk, if you upgrade it to Professional version.
When you are trapped in boot failure with “No boot device available” error in Windows 7/8/10, find out the most proper one among the fixes presented above to fix this error. If you are still unable to boot Windows computer successfully, try to check the bootable hard drive or run anti-virus software.