Solved: Startup Repair Windows 7 Not Working
Windows 7 not booting and Startup repair not working? Relax. This post brings effective solutions to “Startup Repair Windows 7 working” issue.
“Hi, my laptop cannot enter into windows 7 after a Windows critical update, it always ends up in a black screen Launch Startup Repair (recommended) & Start Windows Normally. Choosing Normally will go back to that black screen. Choosing Startup Repair did not work either and error message saying “Startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically” appeared.
The startup repair has always been able to fix the problem. This time I'm not so lucky. Why the Startup Repair not working? It is possible to solve it? How?”
When the hard drive file system, boot partition or BCD setting is damaged due to disk write errors, power outages or virus attacks, this problem will be triggered in Windows 10/8/7. Besides receiving the hint “Startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically” described in the first section, there are chances that you will be stuck into Startup Repair loop in Windows 7/8/10.
If the Windows 7/8/10 system Startup Repair does not work and cannot repair boot problems automatically, you can try the following solutions one by one.
To run CHKDSK.exe tool when Windows fails to boot, you need to do:
1. Insert your Windows 7 installation disc into the CD tray, and boot Windows from it.
2. Press any key when “Press any key to boot from CD or DVD” appears.
3. Click “Repair your computer” and wait for Startup Repair to scan your computer, then select your OS from the given list.
4. In the System Recovery Options window, select “Command Prompt”.
5. Once the command prompt window is launched, enter the command “chkdsk c: /f /r” and press “Enter” to check your boot partition for errors. (c is the letter of your Windows installation drive)
Then, CHKDSK will start to scan your drive for problems and fix them if found.
Disabling Automatic Restart can allows you to get complete error message accompanying the Blue Screen of Death, which are quite useful for solving the boot error. To do this, refer to the instruction below:
1. Restart your Windows 7 computer. Wait for the BIOS to complete the POST.
2. Quickly begin tapping F8 constantly until you see the boot options.
3. Choose “Disable automatic restart on system failure”.
4. Press Enter and wait for your PC to boot.
Besides running “chkdsk c: /f/r” command, you can also run the sfc command (System File Checker) to scan system files and repair corrupted files in Command Prompt window. When you open Command Prompt window like you do in the first solution, run the following command.
“sfc /scannow /offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir=d:\windows”
Finally, when the process is completed, you can restart your computer.
Launch Command Prompt from System Recovery Options, input the following commands and press “Enter” after each to repair damaged BCD files and boot sectors.
As you can see, most solutions to “Startup Repair Windows 7 not working” require the use of original Windows installation CD. If your computer does not come with a Windows installation disc or if you no longer have your Windows setup media, you can use AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard instead. This freeware is a great alternative or workaround when Windows Startup Repair did not work.
With this versatile software, you can create a bootable media and enter the WinPE mode to check boot partition or rebuild MBR for repairing computer boot issues. Now free download it and see how it works.
First of all, you need to connect an empty USB drive (over 8GB) to a working computer, install and launch this software to create a bootable USB (it will contain the pre-installed AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard).
1. Plug the USB to your Windows 7 computer with boot problems, power up it and enter BIOS to make the bootable USB as the first boot device, then restart computer to enter Windows PE mode.
2. Once logged in, the AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard will load and start automatically. Right-click the system disk and choose Rebuild MBR.
3. Choose a proper MBR type for your Windows operating system and click “OK”.
4. Back to the main interface, click “Apply” and then “Proceed” to commit the pending operation.
1. On the main interface of AOMEI Partition Assistant, right click the partition and select “Check Partition”.
2. Select the first way to check partition and fix errors in this partition and click “OK”.
3. Wait for the process to be done.
In this post, we have shared 4 solutions to “Startup Repair Windows 7 not working”, as well as introduced a great alternative to “Startup Repair” option. Choose one based on your actual situation and requirements. To deal with Server boot problems, AOMEI Partition Assistant Server is available to help you.