How to Clone HDD to Samsung SSD in Windows 10, 8 ,7?
Learn how to clone HDD to Samsung SSD from this tutorial to upgrade you hard drive for a better experiment.
Cloning HDD to Samsung SSD, which is a process of copying all the contents of one hard drive to an solid-state drive, is widely used in today’s world. Generally, there are two reasons why people want to perform this operation.
● Better performance. Differ from tranditional HDDs, SSDs use flash memory to store data making them much faster and more stable than tranditional hard drives. And samsung is one of the best SSD manufactuers. Like Samsung SSD 860, 850 Evo has gain its great reputation worldwide.
● Data backup. Everyday, you may need to view hundreds of pages, and run dozens of programs. An unexpected failure can lead to serious data loss, so it is very important to clone data to another place as a backup disk. But simple “copy-and-paste” work can’t copy all files and configurations.
But when it comes to copying all the data from one disk, people may try "copy-and-paste" operation to perform it. However, it can't help you to clone all the hidden files and configurations to another SSD, so that those applications and programs couldn't work well. Then how can we clone a HDD to an Samsung SSD successfully?
Here, we are going to provide 2 methods of clone hard drive to Samsung SSD.
Samsung provides data migration tool to transfer data from old disk to your Samsung solid-state drive. But it is a simple tool that it has some limitations. For example, it can only clone data to Samsung SSD, and it can’t move system disk, and can’t move encrypted disk. If you don't have special demands, it is a nice choice. Here are the steps.
Step 1. Install Samsung Data Migration software from Samsung.com. and open this tool. Click "Start" on the main console.
Step 2. This tool will analyze the disks on your PC, choose the source and target disk on this window. And click "Start".
Step 3. Then wait for the process to get finished.
As mentioned above, Samsung Data Migration may be not working due to its disadvantages. Thus, lots of Samsung SSD users choose another powerful hard disk cloning tool-AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional. It provides good compatibility and flexibility, with this tool, you can clone either a partition or a whole disk to an SSD no matter which manufacturer made it. And more importantly, it supports cloning larger drive to smaller SSD given that the price of SSDs is more expensive than HDDs.
Now, you can connect your Samsung SSD to your PC and download the Demo version and follow the steps below to have a try.
Step 1. Install and launch AOMEI Partition Assistant, click “All Tools” > “Disk Clone Wizard” on the left side.
Step 2. There are 2 copy method you can choose: Clone Disk Quickly and Sector-by-Sector clone. Choose one based on you demands.
● Clone Disk Quickly: Only clone used space to your SSD. It allows you to clone a larger HDD to a smaller Samsung SSD 860, 850 evo as long as the space of the target SSD has enough space to keep the data.
● Sector-by-Sector Clone: Clone all the sectors to the SSD whether it used or not, so it takes longer time than the first option.
Step 3. Choose the old HDD as the source disk, and click “Next”.
Step 4. Choose the Samsung SSD as the destination disk, and check “Optimize the performance of SSD”, and click “Next”.
Step 5. Now, you can edit the partitions on the target SSD by choosing edit partitions on this disk, if you don’t want to change the partition size, choose “Clone without resizing partition”, and click “Next”.
Step 6, it will pop a note telling you how to deal with boot problem after cloning. Read it and click “Finish”.
Step 7. In the main interface, you can view the result, and click “Apply” > “Proceed” to start the operation.
● This tutorial can be applied to clone/migrate data from an HDD/SSD to Samsung SSD 850 evo, Samsung SSD 860 evo, or other disks.
● If you are cloning a MBR HDD to GPT Samsung SSD, you need to change legacy BIOS to UEFI boot mode.
● If the cloned SSD is not booting after the process is done, you can follow the next part to see how to boot from the cloned SSD.
After cloning, replace the Samsung SSD with the old hard drive. If you want to keep both disk, your computer may still take the old HDD as boot device, so you probably encounter a boot problem, here, you can follow the steps down below to boot from the cloned SSD.
1. Restart your PC, and press a function key (F2, F3, F5) when you see the logo to enter BIOS. The BIOS key is written in the instruction book if you don’t know.
2. Use the arrow keys to choose “Enter setup” > “Configure boot options” > “change boot oder”
3. Change the cloned SSD to the top of the listed boot device, then save the change and restart your PC.
This is all about how to clone HDD to Samsung SSD. In this way, you can easily migrate your applications and files to your SSD, and you don’t need to reinstall all software. Besides, AOMEI Partition Assistant is more than a hard disk cloner. It also provides other features to help you to manage your disk, like SSD alignment to improve the performance of your SSD and resize your partitions after cloning.
Note: If your PC is running with Windows Server system, please turn to AOMEI Partition Assistant Server Edition.