Why need to clone partition in Windows 8?
Clone partition is to copy all data from one partition to another, or even another different hard disk without any data loss. Compared with copying files directly via “Copy and Paste”, cloning partition can help users to save much time. So when users want to backup files saved in one partition in Windows 8, cloning the whole partition is worth trying.
Besides, when one of the partitions in Windows 8 computer, especially the system partition, is in low disk space, you can clone it to another new hard drive with larger storage to improve computer performance.
Briefly, if you want to make a complete copy of a partition to protect vital files in case of some unforeseen circumstances, or plan to get a larger system partition for upgrading Windows 8, cloning partition is necessary and helpful.
Easy steps to clone partition in Windows 8 with free AOMEI Partition Assistant
To clone partition in Windows 8, the easiest way is to use a professional hard drive cloning software such as AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard. This free partition manager is not only powerful, but also compatible with 32 bit/64 bit Windows 10/8/7 and Windows XP/Vista. It comes with “Clone Partition” feature, allowing you to copy one partition to an unallocated space on the same disk or another different disk. Moreover, it offers two different methods for partition clone in Windows 10/8/7:
Clone Partition Quickly: this function only copies the used part of the drive, and also it supports the option of resize partition so as to suit the target partition.
Sector-by-sector Clone: this option intends to copy a complete partition, both the used part and the free part.
Now, we will show you how to clone partition in Windows 8 or other Windows operating system step by step.
✍ Tips before proceeding:
1. Only the unallocated space can be selected as the destination partition, make sure you have one. If not, create an unallocated space that is large enough.
2. The size of the unallocated space is determined by the clone method. If you choose "clone partition quickly", the unallocated space size must be equal or bigger than the used part of the source partition. If you choose "Sector-by-sector Clone", the size must be equal or bigger than the size of the source partition.
3. If you want to clone system partition, when the program is executed, your computer will be restarted automatically to accomplish the operation under a PreOS mode.
Step 1. Download, install and launch AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard on Windows 8 PC. Right click the source partition and select “Clone Partition”.
Step 2. Choose a clone method based on your needs and click “Next”. Here we choose “Clone Partition Quickly”.
Step 3. Now, choose the destination space and click “Next”. If the space is located on an SSD drive, you can tick the option “Optimize the performance of SSD” at the bottom.
Step 4. In this window, you can adjust the partition size as you need, and then click on “Finish”.
Step 5. At last, click “Apply” and “Proceed” to commit the pending operation.
How to clone Windows 8 boot partition to another hard drive?
Above is how to clone a data partition in Windows 8. The same steps can also apply to clone Windows 8 drive (namely the system partition) to another location, but there is another feature called “Migrate OS to SSD Wizard”, specially designed to move Windows 10/8/7 boot partition to SSD/HDD. To clone or transfer Windows 8 or 8.1 partition to new hard drive, just do as below:
Step 1. Run AOMEI Partition Assistant and click “Migrate OS to SSD” from the given Wizards options.
Step 2. Select the destination disk space and click on “Next”.
Step 3. Here you can resize the partition being created and click “Next”.
Step 4. Here comes a boot note about how to boot from the cloned disk afterward. Read it carefully and click “Finish”.
Step 5. Click “Apply” in the main interface and then “Proceed” to start.
If you want to boot from the destination disk, you can reboot your computer, enter BIOS settings, change boot order to boot computer from it.
1. Apart from copying partition, this freeware also enables Windows PC users to clone a whole hard disk to another disk. So you can also clone entire Windows system disk to another one.
2. The Standard version only supports cloning (Windows 10/8/7) partition from MBR disk to MBR disk. To perform this clone task between MBR and GPT or GPT and GPT, please upgrade to AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional.
3. To clone Windows Server partition to SSD/HDD, you can try AOMEI Partition Assistant Server.
See? With AOMEI Partition Assistant, you can easily clone partition in Windows 8 or 8.1. In addition to this amazing feature, AOMEI Partition Assistant also has many other functions, such as, resize/move partition, merge partitions, split partitions, allocate free space, dynamic disk management, etc