7 Solutions: Fix Boot in Windows 10, 8, 7 Easily
How do I run fixboot Windows 10? Use Windows 10 repair command prompt fixboot.
The following methods may cause data loss to your hard disk. Therefore, before trying any one of them, you’d better make a copy of crucial data and save the copy in a safe place outside of failed machine. Create a bootable USB , also called fixboot Windows 10 recovery USB, with AOMEI Partition Assistant to boot the computer up and copy important files out.
You will need Windows installation disk in some of the following solutions. If you do not have one in hand right now, you can either asking from your system administrator or computer manufacturer for one, or download Windows installation media creation tool and make one by yourself. Now, refer to the following content, we will guide you on how to fix boot problem in Windows 10.
If you have a Windows 10 installation disk, you can rely on Windows built-in automatic repair function to fix boot Windows 10.
1. Insert the installation disk, and tap the BIOS key to enter BIOS setup when you see the first screen.
2. And choose "Boot" tab, and change the boot order, set the installation disk to the first position in the bootable device.
3. And you PC will boot from the Windows 10 installation disk, and setup your language, time as well as keyboard etc.
4. Choose "Repair your computer" > "Troubleshoot“ > “”Advanced” > ”Startup Repair”.
5. Then, wait for it automatically repair Windows 10 boot to finish and restart your computer without an installation disk.
If the Windows 10 repair program does not solve windows 10 fix boot problems, you can refer to Windows CMD for help.
1. Boot from your installation disk, and select Command Prompt instead of Start Repair.
2. Type “bootrec /fixboot” and press Enter key.
3. Type “exit” to close command window, remove installation disk and try to reboot.
Tip: “fixboot” is a command to fix DOS boot record (DBS).
If the above easy command orders can’t help you fix Windows won’t boot problem, maybe you should consider repairing the EFI boot loader if yours are a GPT disk.
1. Go to Command Prompt from Troubleshoot screen in solution 1.
2. Type “diskpart” and press Enter to open Diskpart command function.
3. Type “select disk 0” and press Enter to make disk 0 active. “0” is the number of the disk on which operating system installed. Usually it is “0”. If yours are not, replace it with your system disk number.
4. Type “list volume” and press Enter to display all volumes/partitions currently on your machine.
5. Verify the EFI partition (EPS – EFI System Partition) is using FAT32 file system.
6. Type “select volume #” and press Enter to active target partition. Replace “#” with the target partition number.
7. Type “assign letter= #” and press Enter to assign a drive letter that is not in use to target volume.
8. Type “exit” and press Enter to exit Diskpart command.
9. Type “cd /d
10. Type “bootrec /fixboot” and press Enter to fix boot record Windows 10.
Continue to solution 3 above, if it fails to fix boot problem in Windows 10 for you, you should try this method.
If OS is running on a GPT disk that works well with UEFI boot mode. Yet, if its MBR type of disk, it won’t boot under UEFI. Therefore, you can try to disable or enable UEFI secure boot to see which status will fixboot Windows 10.
In general, find Secure Boot in the Security tab of BIOS and highlight the option to alter its status.
You may take fix BCD into consideration to solve Windows 10 won’t boot problems.
1. Continue with the windows 10 fixboot command in solution 3, you should rebuild BCD store.
2. Type “ren BCD BCD.old” or “ren BCD BCD.bak” or “ren BCD BCD.bakup”and press Enter to backup BCD file.
3. Type “bcdboot c:\Windows /l en-us /s
4. Type “exit” and press Enter to close command prompt. Then, remove installation disk and restart your PC.
View more details to fix BCD, please refer to Fix Boot Configuration Data Is Missing Error Windows 10/8/7.
Finally, you can try to fix MBR to fixboot Windows 10.
Method 1. Fix MBR with CMD
Just enter Command Prompt above and type “bootrec /fixmbr” and press Enter.
Or, you can use the following commands all together to improve the chance of success:
● bootrec /fixmbr
● bootrec /fixboot
● bootrec /scanos
● bootrec /rebuildbcd
Method 2. Fix Master Boot Record by AOMEI Partition Assistant
AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition is a professional and reliable hard disk management freeware. With its Rebuild MBR feature, you can easily fix MBR in a short time.
1. Firstly, make use of the bootable USB mentioned in the start of this article to boot failed computer up. And you will also need to enter BIOS and change the boot drive, and AOMEI Partition Assistant has already be built into the USB when you create it.
2. Open Partition Assistant and use Rebuild MBR feature to repair MBR.
If all solutions above can’t fix boot sector windows 10 for you, you have this final solution to reinstall the system with Windows installation disk and make a fresh start.