How to Convert Primary Partition to Logical Drive?
Why do you need to convert primary partition to logical?
Primary partition: A partition type which can be created on a basic disk. It is a part of a physical disk and works like a physically dependent disk. As for MBR (Main Boot Record) disk, 4 primary partitions or 3 primary partitions plus 1 extended partition which contains more than one logical partitions can be created. For GPT (Globally Unique Identifier Partition Table) disk, up to 128 primary partitions can be created.
Logical partition: It is also a partition type which is different from the primary partition. Each primary partition has its own boot block while logical partition has not; each primary partition can be set as start area using fdisk while logical partition cannot.
Primary partition also called primary disk partition. In a primary partition, any other partition type cannot exist. Therefore, every primary can be viewed as a logical disk. On this point, the primary partition is very similar to logical partition. However, the primary is divided directly from hard disk while logical partition must be created on an extended partition. The files and data needed to start a computer are included in the primary partition on its hard disk. On the other hand, if you want to install OS (Operating System) on a certain hard disk, it must have at least one primary partition on it. As for logical partition, they are used for saving data.
If one MBR disk has four primary partitions, you will not be allowed to create other new partitions on that disk. A basic MBR disk can have either up to four primary partitions, or up to three primary partitions plus one extended partition which contains unlimited number of logical partitions. You need to change primary to extended partition (change primary partition to logical drive) if you want to create a fifth partition on a MBR disk which already has four primary partitions. AOMEI Partition Assistant supports converting between logical partition and primary partition.
How to Convert Primary to Logical Partition?
To change primary partition to logical drive with AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional, you need first of install and launch it on your computer.
Before you do
- If there are other applications running on the partition which you are going to perform, AOMEI Partition Assistant will notice you to close those applications or to execute this operation in PreOS Mode.
- Though convert primary to logical won’t influence your data on the disk, it would be advisable to make reliable backup for your valuable data to the external media such as networks, CD/DVD or external hard disk drive, the professional backup software – AOMEI Backupper may help you out. It is always better to be cautious than sorry.
To convert primary partition to logical
Step 1: In the partition list column of Partition Assistant main interface, right-click the primary partition which you want to convert and then choose “Advanced” and “Convert to Logical”.
Step 2: Click “OK” to confirm the operation in the following pop-up window.
Step 3: Commit the operation by clicking “Apply” on the toolbar.
- Convert primary to logical partition is mainly used on basic MBR disk.
- You’re not allowed to convert a boot partition to logical. Otherwise, your computer will likely to stop working.
- The location and the size of the primary partition will be slightly different after converting due to the fact that the logical partition is 63 sectors bigger than primary partition.